1.33 lakh Polaris ATVs to be recalled for a potential fire risk
World renowned for their off-road vehicles, Polaris is recalling a good 133,000 of its recreational ATVs due to a fire risk in a certain batch. The models under scrutiny are the RZR 900 and RZR 1000 all-terrain vehicle models between 2013 and 2016, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
It is said that these ATVs are prone to catch fire while driving them, posing a hazard to occupants. Polaris has already received over 160 reports of their vehicles catching fire, including an incident which cost the life of a 15-year-old. All affected owners will be contacted to bring in the vehicles for a complimentary service appointment. Polaris has also made manufacturing updates to the affected models.
The RZR 900 is powered by a ProStar 875cc DOHC 2-cylinder engine, producing 75PS. Power is channelled to an on-demand all-wheel drive system. The RZR 1000 in the meanwhile is powered by a ProStar 999cc DOHC 2-cylinder engine producing 100PS, with power sent to an all-wheel drive system.
"We are working day and night to inform our customers and dealers and to obtain the parts needed for the repairs we identified in our comprehensive analysis. We apologize for the inconvenience to our customers as we work to ensure all the systemic thermal risks we identified are eliminated from our vehicles." said Scott W. Wine, chairman and CEO, Polaris.
At the time of publishing this story, Polaris India was yet to revert whether the ATVs in India are affected by this recall or not. We will update this story with this specific information as and when we receive it from Polaris India.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Clarity fuel cell FCV
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha M-Slaz
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Creon concept