$1.9 million hypercar Koenigsegg Regera sold out!
When a car is worth a jaw-dropping $1.9 million, it is obvious that will take some time for the company to sell out each specimen of that model. Not when the company is Sweden-based Koenigsegg Automotive AB. The company has sold all the 80 units of its Regera plug-in hybrid hypercar. Debuted at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show, the Koenigsegg Regera went into production in 2016, and in just a year the company has achieved this feat.
Koenigsegg has always been into manufacturing small batch of its exclusive cars. However, the Regera is its largest series production model with 80 units. It was also for the first time that the Koenigsegg was using a parallel production line to manufacture a sportscar.
The Koenigsegg Regera is powered by an electric drive system that consists of three electric motors - one on the crankshaft and one on each of the two rear axles. These electric motors produce a total output of 670PS. Koenigsegg claims that the power-to-weight ratio, which is more than 10PS per kilogram, has never been offered in a road-legal electric car prior to the Regera. This power, along with 1,100PS from the internal combustion engine, is directed to the rear wheels with the help of Koenigsegg Direct Drive system (KDD) instead of a conventional gearbox. This single-speed unit has been designed to save both weight and mechanical losses. All of that tech helps the Koenigsegg Regera attain an acceleration of 0-400kmph in as little as 20 seconds.
"It [Regera] has been our greatest technical challenge, and as such it is also our greatest technical triumph," commented, CEO, Christian von Koenigsegg. Knowing how Koenigsegg pops out concepts at Geneva Motor Shows, the successor of Regera might makes it presence felt at the 2018 edition of the show.
Team OD | 11 Jan 2019
- NewsDakar 2019: Sebastien Loeb notches fourth stage win on Stage 8
- NewsSpec Comparison: Honda CB300R vs BMW G 310 R vs KTM 250 Duke vs Bajaj Dominar 400
- Review2019 Jaguar F-Pace 2.0 petrol first drive review
- NewsDakar 2019: Hero Motorsports rider Oriol Mena breaks into the overall top 10 after Stage 8
- Review2019 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift road test review
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani