1 million Toyota and Honda cars recalled in the US to fix faulty Takata airbags
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the US has recalled over a million Toyota and Honda vehicles to fix cars equipped with the faulty Takata airbags. This is the third time that the recall has been issued after 20 people died because of these faulty airbags.
2012 Honda Accord
Takata uses the chemical ammonium nitrate to trigger a small explosion that fills the airbags in the event of a crash. However, the chemical has been known to deteriorate when exposed to high temperatures and humidity. This, in turn causes the chemical to burn too fast, blowing apart a metal canister. The shrapnel from the explosion is sent hurling to the driver and passenger, causing grievous injury or even death. Over 180 people have suffered injuries due to this problem.
Most of the affected models are built between 2009 and 2013. The list includes popular vehicles such as the Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris, Lexus ES350, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Honda Fit (Jazz) and many more. Owners of these vehicles have been notified via mail and have been asked to get the airbag assembly or the inflator replaced at the dealerships.
Honda is also recalling its mega cruiser, the Goldwing to replace the airbag module. Honda was supposed to replace the airbag in the Goldwing during the fourth phase of the recall. The company decided to move the date up as the replacement parts are available.
In India, Honda had recalled over 1.9 lakh cars in 2016 to fix these faulty airbags. It also issued another wave of recalls in 2017 to fix the same issue. The affected cars in India include the City, Accord, CR-V, Civic and Jazz.
Starts Rs 8.75 Lakhs
- NewsVolkswagen I.D R Pikes Peak wins hill climb shootout at 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed
- NewsTVS Apache RR310 can now be had with an Akrapovic Racing Line exhaust system
- NewsBMW G 310 R and G 310 GS to have a 2-3 month long waiting period in India
- NewsYamaha Cygnus Ray ZR Street Rally launched in India at Rs 57,898
- NewsMobile showroom from Audi to tour more than 30 cities in India
- Review2018 Toyota Yaris V MT road test review
- Review2018 Kia Rio X-line first drive review
- NewsGoodyear launches the Assurance TripleMax 2 tyre range in India
- NewsAishwarya Pissay to be part of Sherco TVS Rally Factory squad at 2018 Baja Aragon
- NewsDani Pedrosa announces his retirement from MotoGP