2013 BMW 1 Series launched in India at Rs 20.9 lakh
BMW has launched its most affordable car in the Indian market yet, the 1 Series. The car which is available only with an 8-speed automatic transmission but two engine options - a 1.6-litre turbo petrol and a 2-litre common rail diesel - will be assembled at BMW's Chennai plant.
The 1 Series has been launched in four variants. The 136PS petrol, badged 116i, can only be had in the base trim. It is priced at ? 20.9lakh, ex-showroom, India. The 143PS diesel (118d), meanwhile, is available in three trim levels - Base, Sport Line and Sport Plus which cost ? 22.9 lakh, ? 25.9 lakh and ? 29.9 lakh, respectively.
2013 BMW 1 Series
BMW's trim and pricing strategy for the 1 is quite different from what we have seen Mercedes do with its entry-level cars, the A and B-Class. The latter two are also available with a petrol and diesel engine each, much like the 1 Series, but both the Mercs sport just one trim option. Also, the petrol is the higher specced car in the Mercedes entry-level line up. BMW's strategy, if nothing else, certainly gives its buyers more options. It also helps gives the Bavarian carmaker a decent spread to tempt more buyers into buying a BMW.
Getting back to BMW's entry-level 1 Series, the base trim isn't exactly a stripped down car. It gets ESP, six airbags and ABS on the safety front, and on the comfort and convenience end, there are rear parking sensors, automatic headlamps and even climate control. The steering also adjusts for both reach and rake and there's one touch up and down operation for all four windows.
The top of the line Sport Plus though is way better endowed. Besides features seen in the base trim, the top spec 1 Series also sports the iDrive complete with Bluetooth telephony, electric power seats with memory, a sunroof, keyless entry and start, and a dual zone climate control system. It also gets rear air con vents.
You can also read our review of the 1 Series here.
Starts Rs 30.3 Lakhs
- NewsAudi's new 2-litre race engine makes 610PS!
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 350 and 500 India launch
- NewsAston Martin DBS GT Zagato can be bought only with the the DB4 GT Zagato Continuation
- NewsMahindra's genuine spares will also be sold online on M2ALL.com
- NewsF1: Mick Schumacher to drive Ferrari SF90 at Bahrain test
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip