2013 Geneva Auto Show: Porsche 911 GT3
Of all the Porsches with a naturally aspirated engine the 911 GT3 comes right at the top. Not because it is the most luxurious or probably because it may be the most expensive but because it is very easily the most cerebral in terms of performance. This 5th generation supercar very recently established a lap time of under 7:30 minutes at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Completely redeveloped with a new engine, body, chassis and transmission the 911 GT3 can sprint to 100kmph in just 3.3 seconds with a top speed touching 314kmph.
Now for the technical highlights:
1. It's got active rear wheel steering, a first for a production Porsche. Depending on the speed the rear wheels steer in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels thus improving stability and agility. This also improves steering precision by a much higher degree than ever seen before on any Porsche.
2. The engine is a 3.8-litre 6-cylinder boxer with 475PS on tap that redlines at 9000rpm. Despite sharing the basic architecture with the engine on the 911 Carrera S, most of the internal components are completely different. Stuff like the crankshaft and valve gear were specifically adapted or designed for the GT3 engine in addition to the titanium connecting rods and forged pistons.
3. It's got a specially developed dual clutch transmission (PDK) delivering torque to the rear wheels whose characteristics have been directly derived from racing sequential gearboxes. This all-new transmission features shorter gear ratios with closer spacing. This allows quicker shifts and more precise and articulate feedback.
4. The 911 Carrera body has been replicated for the GT3 thanks to it being light yet incredibly stiff. Made of a hybrid steel and aluminum construction there are unique features at both ends specifically designed for the GT3. For instance it is 1.7-inches wider at the rear than the Carrera and then there is that huge almost monstrous rear wing, probably its defining visual feature.
5. Its also got an electronically controlled fully variable rear differential lock and dynamic engine mounts.
6. 20" forged alloy wheels are suspended with central locking hubs rather than conventional wheel bolts.
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
- NewsCoronavirus Impact: TVS extends its free services and AMC contract untill June
- NewsProject Pitlane- F1 Teams to Make Ventilators to Treat Corona Patients
- NewsCoronavirus impact: Hyundai Motors help government battle the Covid-19 virus
- NewsBSVI: What happens to BSIV stock after the Supreme Court's judgement?
- NewsAutomotive production resumes in China
- Digitek Launches its Battery for Sony, the F-960/F-970 MU
- Digitek Introduces the DUC-008 Battery Charger
- Digitek Unveils its latest Softbox, the DSBH-055