2014 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet models unveiled
We just brought you a report on our exciting drive of the brand new Porsche and Turbo S and concluded that they are frightfully quick but pleasantly usable in everyday situations. What you see here are essentially the same cars but with an openable roof for that wind in the hair feel that the wealthy so enjoy. So what does the latest in the ever burgeoning 911 range offer?
Mechanically the car is pretty much identical to its hardtop sibling so you get 520PS from the 'base' Turbo while the more powerful Turbo S pumps out 560PS. They both use a 3.8-litre twin turbo flat six. These figures are 30PS higher than the previous generation and Porsche claims the cars are 0.2 seconds quicker as well. 0-100kmph takes 3.3 and 3.1 seconds respectively while top speed for both hovers around 314kmph. Of course hacking the roof off a car means a loss in structural rigidity which means engineers had to factor more strength into the chassis, which results in more weight. This explains why both cars are about .2 seconds slower to the ton than their hardtop counterparts.
Both the convertibles use Porsche's trick new active rear wheel steering that has the rear wheels move slightly in an opposite direction to the fronts when turning at slow speeds. As the speeds increase the rear wheels move in the same direction as the ones at front. This gives the car a much more stable but agile feel . There's also active aerodynamics which adjust the level of downforce on offer as per the speed through the massive wing at the rear and and adjustable front lip spoiler. The retracting roof mechanism uses a magnesium frame to keep weight down. The roof opens and closes in about 13 seconds and can be operated at speeds of up to 48kmph.
The Turbo convertibles will be officially launched at the upcoming LA motorshow. Prices for America range between Rs 1 and 1.2 crore but you can expect those figures to be considerably higher here once the cars are subject to our high import tax and duty structures.
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
Starts Rs 2.14 Crore
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV to be launched in India on September 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Pre-scrutiny image gallery
- NewsHarley-Davidson India rolls out new Street to Softail trade-in offer
- NewsKerala floods: Nissan India offers service support to affected customers
- NewsHero MotoCorp re-enters used two-wheeler business with Hero Sure in India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to get more safety features
- NewsTata Nexon compact SUV crosses the 50,000 production mark
- NewsAutomobili Pininfarina PF0 all-electric concept hypercar interior revealed
- NewsPorsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid sets lap records at six racetracks including BIC
- NewsMercedes-Benz India and its dealers donate Rs 30 lakh to the CM's relief fund in Kerala