2016 Auto Expo: Tata Motors to spin off a new sports division
Tata Motors for years now has harbored plans of stepping into the performance space. They have constantly been working on various one-off models to showcase their capabilities in this regard. At the Auto Expo 2016, Tata Motors showcased the Tata Sports, a 110PS version of the Bolt hatchback which has several performance upgrades.
The basic idea is to in some years build a brand similar to the M or AMG division that solely look at enhancing stock cars into performance monsters. However the plan is sound and Tata Motors wants to execute it in a phased manner growing slowly as the product range also increases to provide a canvas on which to paint their aspirations. The Bolt Sports has suspension upgrades and aerodynamic bits to enhance stability. In the future however the division is looking at further upgrades which will involve upping power to 140PS, upgrading the transmission and providing stiffer underpinnings. Post the Bolt, a similar version will be introduced based on the Tata Zest
The Bolt Sports looks to be a well made job and is the culmination of a long quest. Tata Group chairman Cyrus Misrty has also shown a keen interest in the project pushing through the detailing needed to see the sports division come to life. Expect an announcement sometime later this year.
For more information from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Auto Expo, click here
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.22 Lakhs
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?
- NewsHonda Civic facelift unveiled internationally ahead of India launch
- NewsProduct review: 2018 Arai Tour-X4 adv helmet
- Review2018 Ducati Monster 821 road test review