2016 Auto Expo: Volkswagen unveils the Tiguan SUV
Volkswagen had an exciting display at the Auto Expo, with the unveil of the Ameo compact sedan, the Passat GTE and the three-door Polo GTI. None of these vehicles were launched though, with Volkswagen stating that sales would begin at a later date this year or perhaps even early next year in the case of the Polo GTI.
Another exciting announcement from the Volkswagen stand at the 2016 Auto Expo was the five seater Tiguan SUV. The Volkswagen Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen in the sub-Rs 30 lakh segment. It will slot in below the premium German compact SUVs like the Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA. The Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen to be based on the MQB modular platform.
The Tiguan shown at the 2016 Auto Expo was powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol that produces 180PS. The engine is matched with a 7-speed DSG gearbox and all-wheel drive is standard. Volkswagen's 4Motion Active Control sets up the all-wheel drive system to adapt to different surfaces based on the driver's requirements. We expect the Tiguan will come to India with an emission norm-abiding 2.0-litre diesel engine and 7-speed automatic transmission.
The Volkswagen Tiguan be the first reasonably affordable SUV from the company in India. So far, the ultra premium Touareg was the only VW SUV available available here. The Volkswagen Tiguan will go on sale in India early next year but you can look out for a drive review from OVERDRIVE much before that.
For more information from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Auto Expo, click here
Starts Rs 27.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.33 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- News2019 Honda CBR650R will be sold through Honda's 22 Wing World dealerships in India
- NewsHonda CBR650R bookings open in India, to be priced under Rs 8 lakh
- News2020 Range Rover Evoque spied in India
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: 2020 Ssangyong Korando SUV revealed
- NewsMG Motor to launch eZS electric SUV in India by end-2019
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani