2016 Auto Expo: Volkswagen unveils the Tiguan SUV
Volkswagen had an exciting display at the Auto Expo, with the unveil of the Ameo compact sedan, the Passat GTE and the three-door Polo GTI. None of these vehicles were launched though, with Volkswagen stating that sales would begin at a later date this year or perhaps even early next year in the case of the Polo GTI.
Another exciting announcement from the Volkswagen stand at the 2016 Auto Expo was the five seater Tiguan SUV. The Volkswagen Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen in the sub-Rs 30 lakh segment. It will slot in below the premium German compact SUVs like the Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA. The Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen to be based on the MQB modular platform.
The Tiguan shown at the 2016 Auto Expo was powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol that produces 180PS. The engine is matched with a 7-speed DSG gearbox and all-wheel drive is standard. Volkswagen's 4Motion Active Control sets up the all-wheel drive system to adapt to different surfaces based on the driver's requirements. We expect the Tiguan will come to India with an emission norm-abiding 2.0-litre diesel engine and 7-speed automatic transmission.
The Volkswagen Tiguan be the first reasonably affordable SUV from the company in India. So far, the ultra premium Touareg was the only VW SUV available available here. The Volkswagen Tiguan will go on sale in India early next year but you can look out for a drive review from OVERDRIVE much before that.
For more information from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Auto Expo, click here
Starts Rs 27.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 31.72 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
- NewsF1: 2018 will be Fernando Alonso's last season in Formula 1
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: TVS Racing announces six-rider line-up
- News2018 Msports X30 Karting Championship: Shahan Ali Mohsin overcomes early upsets to win in Junior category
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?