2016 Auto Expo: Volkswagen unveils the Tiguan SUV
Volkswagen had an exciting display at the Auto Expo, with the unveil of the Ameo compact sedan, the Passat GTE and the three-door Polo GTI. None of these vehicles were launched though, with Volkswagen stating that sales would begin at a later date this year or perhaps even early next year in the case of the Polo GTI.
Another exciting announcement from the Volkswagen stand at the 2016 Auto Expo was the five seater Tiguan SUV. The Volkswagen Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen in the sub-Rs 30 lakh segment. It will slot in below the premium German compact SUVs like the Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA. The Tiguan is the first SUV from Volkswagen to be based on the MQB modular platform.
The Tiguan shown at the 2016 Auto Expo was powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol that produces 180PS. The engine is matched with a 7-speed DSG gearbox and all-wheel drive is standard. Volkswagen's 4Motion Active Control sets up the all-wheel drive system to adapt to different surfaces based on the driver's requirements. We expect the Tiguan will come to India with an emission norm-abiding 2.0-litre diesel engine and 7-speed automatic transmission.
The Volkswagen Tiguan be the first reasonably affordable SUV from the company in India. So far, the ultra premium Touareg was the only VW SUV available available here. The Volkswagen Tiguan will go on sale in India early next year but you can look out for a drive review from OVERDRIVE much before that.
For more information from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Auto Expo, click here
Starts Rs 28.06 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.33 Lakhs
- News180 units of Toyota Vellfire MPV already sold in India
- FeaturesMeeting the Tribe(r): Renault Triber South Africa launch
- NewsUpcoming Tata Altroz 1.2-litre turbo-petrol spotted testing in India
- News2020 Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Turbo launched in India, prices start at Rs 7.68 lakh
- News2020 Honda Africa Twin to be launched on March 5 in India
- Digitek Launches its Battery for Sony, the F-960/F-970 MU
- Digitek Introduces the DUC-008 Battery Charger
- Digitek Unveils its latest Softbox, the DSBH-055