2016 Detroit Motor Show: India-bound Volvo S90 unveiled
Volvo has unveiled the S90 at the 2016 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), which is also known as the Detroit Motor Show. Like the XC90, the S90 is also based on Volvo's Scalable Platform Architecture (SPA) and will be powered by the same range of four-cylinder engines. The S90 is Volvo's rival to the likes of the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, Jaguar XF and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
The exterior borrows a few styling cues from the XC90 with LED headlights and the Thor's Hammer inspired daytime running lights. The face is also very similar to the XC90 but looks lower and sleeker thanks to the sedan form. The Volvo S90's cabin too shares a few similarities with the XC90, including utilisation of high-grade materials and a slab of wood which forms a large part of the fascia. The dashboard gets dominated by the large infotainment screen, which includes satellite navigation and audio, and the different functions of the vehicle can be controlled through it.
Speaking on the occassion, Håkan Samuelsson, president & CEO of Volvo Car Group said "We have always placed great significance on our presence in the US. That is why we decided to present our S90 to the public for the very first time at the Detroit show, and why we have begun to build a Volvo factory here."
The new Volvo S90 will get IntelliSafe Assist as standard including Adaptive Cruise Control and Distance Alert and the semi-autonomous drive feature- Pilot Assist. The Pilot Assist feature makes slight steering inputs to keep the car properly aligned within lane markings up to speeds of around 130 km/h.
The S90 also gets Volvo's City Safety feature which has a new update - large animal detection. This feature is capable of detecting large animals such as deer, horses or moose/elk, night or day. The technology offers a warning and brake support to help avoid or mitigate collisions with large animals.
"We created our new flagship sedan, the Volvo S90, as a real game changer. It is classy and cool. The exterior is exceptionally well surfaced with a fantastic stance and the sort of clean lines that are singularly appropriate of a Scandinavian design. The interior masters the art of blending innovative technology and natural materials into an elegant, welcoming and tasteful ambience, Swedishness at its best," said Thomas Ingenlath, senior vice president, Design at Volvo Car Group.
We expect the new S90 to debut in India in the second half of 2016.
Starts Rs 58.84 Lakhs
Starts Rs 51.93 Lakhs
Starts Rs 52 Lakhs
Starts Rs 46.45 Lakhs
Starts Rs 56.47 Lakhs
- News2018 Aston Martin Vantage to be launched in India today
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover
- OpinionOn the joys and hardships of motorsport writing...
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 first ride review
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories