2016 Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya: Rana and Naik win the Xtreme 4x4 class
The 18th edition of the Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya came to an end on October 15, 2016 at Manali. The Xtreme category was truncated to three legs from the original six due to the death of Shubhamoy Paul, a competitor in the Xtreme Moto-Quad category. However the schedule of the Adventure Trail and Alpine class remained unchanged.
Suresh Rana and Ashwin Naik, in the 2016 Raid de Himalaya winning Grand Vitara
Suresh Rana and Ashwin Naik, in their Maruti Grand Vitara, took the title in the Xtreme 4x4 category after Leg 3 with a total time of 5h 09 m 20s. This marks Rana's tenth win at the Raid. Lhakpa Tsering and V Venu Rameshkumar, who were 13m 43s behind them, took second place in a Polaris RZR XP4 1000 while Sandeep Sharma and Karan Arya finished third, clocking 5h 29m 31s in their Maruti Gypsy.
Abdul Wahid Tanveer riding his TVS Sherco RTR 450
In the Xtreme Moto-Quad class, TVS Racing's Abdul Wahid Tanveer took top honours with 4h 47m 46s on the clock. His team-mate, R Nataraj, finished second with a total time of 4h 50m 52s, while Umang Saxena was third by 51m 49s. The Alpine category was won by Rana Pratap Singh who finished the rally in a Hero Impulse with a time of 6h 38m 45s. Naman Sharma, on his KTM 200 Duke finished 13s behind him to take a close second, while Surya Pratap Singh Kanwar finished third, clocking 6h 48m 17s.
Taking first place in the Adventure Trial TSD rally were Jagmeet Gill and Chandan Sen in a Maruti Suzuki Swift, with a total penalty of 15m 54s. This is Gill's fifth win in a row at the Raid. Ajgar Ali and Mohammed Mustafa finished second in a Maruti Vitara Brezza scoring a penalty of 22m 54s. Sunder Singh and Daoud Zaman Khan, who were also in a Vitara Brezza, finished third with a penalty of 31m 50s.
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1,48,160
- News2019 Kawasaki Z650 launched in India at Rs 5.29 lakh
- FeaturesFHVI's Royal Classic Car Drive to Mysore
- NewsKymco enters the Indian electric scooter market with 22 Motors
- NewsMahindra TUV300 facelift in the works, launch next year
- NewsTata Harrier SUV pre-bookings open at Rs 30,000 across India
- NewsImage gallery: India-bound 2019 Yamaha YZF-R3
- NewsDucati Multistrada 1260 Enduro breaks cover
- News2019 Kawasaki Z900 launched in India at Rs 7.68 lakh, same price as earlier
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: KTM India set to launch 125 Duke in India next month?
- NewsDucati now offering free GoPro action camera on purchase of Multistrada 950 and Scrambler 800