2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class to have all-new diesel engine
Mercedes-Benz has announced an all-new diesel engine that will come in the E-Class, showcased at the Detroit Motor Show. The OM 654 is the first of a new family of diesel engines that will power upcoming Mercedes-Benz cars and vans. Also, it is the first all-aluminium four-cylinder diesel engine from Mercedes-Benz that will power the new E 220d.
The new motor will be offered in different states of tunes for front-, rear- and all-wheel drivetrains. It will be offered in both longitudinal and transverse configurations. More importantly, the new generation of engines are also aimed at helping Mercedes come closer to their objective of reducing the number of powertrain options. The Stuttgart manufacturer claims that the compact dimensions of the OM 654 motor will allow it to power vehicles across different segments. At 168.4kg, this new 2.0-litre motor is lighter than the older 2.1-litre unit which weighed 202.8kg.
The fuel consumption of the new OM 654 engine in the E220d is lower by 13 per cent, says Mercedes, while the power output has been increased from 170PS to 194PS. Also, Mercedes has taken measures to lower noise levels and vibrations with the use of steel pistons, stepped combustion bowls and special Nanoslide cylinder coating.
"The new family of engines embodies over 80 years of Mercedes-Benz diesel know-how. The new premium diesels are more efficient and powerful, lighter and more compact and are designed to meet all the future global emissions standards," says Dr Thomas Weber, member of the Daimler Board of Management, and head, Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.
Starts Rs 57.5 Lakhs
- NewsHow automotive manufacturers are helping combat the Coronavirus crisis
- NewsCoronavirus Impact: TVS extends its free services and AMC contract untill June
- NewsProject Pitlane- F1 Teams to Make Ventilators to Treat Corona Patients
- NewsCoronavirus impact: Hyundai Motors help government battle the Covid-19 virus
- NewsBSVI: What happens to BSIV stock after the Supreme Court's judgement?
- Digitek Launches its Battery for Sony, the F-960/F-970 MU
- Digitek Introduces the DUC-008 Battery Charger
- Digitek Unveils its latest Softbox, the DSBH-055