2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe launched in India at Rs 86.4 lakh
Mercedes-Benz India's most successful year was 2015. The carmaker launched 15 new models and went on to sell nearly 15,000 units in a financial year. Its 2016 now and Mercedes-Benz have rolled out their first launch, the GLE 450 AMG Coupe, the first of the 12 new models that will roll out this year. The new Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe is priced at Rs 86.4 lakh, ex-Mumbai.
The Coupe name sticks because it's an SUV that gets Coupe-inspired styling. In fact Mercedes-Benz India calls it a Coupe and claims that it offers the largest boot in such a bodystyle.
This version of the Mercedes-Benz GLE is quite striking. The face is very GLE-like and thanks to the AMG style bumper, looks more aggressive too. Move to the side though and the sloping roofline is reminiscent of a coupe while the height and huge wheel arches are very SUV-ish. The 21-inch wheels fit in well and look stunning. The signature quad-pipes give the rear a lot of character. The rear LED lamps and chrome strip reminds one of the beautiful SL 63 AMG Coupe.
If you've seen the new GLE inside, you will feel at home in the Coupe as well. The same interior has been carried over here but with a few AMG add-ons. Like the standard GLE, it gets a revised dashboard with a new display and the new Comand controller you will see in most new Mercedes-Benz models. There are also mode buttons that allow you to adjust the suspension firmness or engine set-up. The seats in the GLE 450 are wide and plush but with good support; a nice middle ground between the sporty but firm AMG seats and soft and cushy standard SUV seats. In fact this SUV sits in between the regular GLE and the top of the line GLE 63 AMG that's available in international markets.
The Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe also introduces for the first time an AMG tuned version of the biturbo V6 motor. The result? 367PS and 520Nm. We tested the car- the lovely soundtrack from the motor is the highlight. It helps propel this 2.2 tonne vehicle from standstill to 100kmph in 6.1s. Top speed is 250kmph. The motor is mated to the new 9-speed automatic.
More stories from OVERDRIVE on the new Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe
Starts Rs 64.06 Lakhs
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show