2016 MotoGP: Moto2 rider Luis Salom passes away after FP2 crash at Catalunya
RIP Luis Salom
A shadow has been cast over the Catalunya Grand Prix, with Luis Salom succumbing to injuries he sustained after an accident in the second free practice session in the Moto2 class.
It has been reported that Salom lost control of his Kalex at Turn 12. While there is no footage available of the crash itself, the 25-year old rider was rushed to the hospital, where the trauma team tried to save him, but was unable to. Salom is the first rider to pass away in Grand Prix Motorcycle Racing, since Marco Simoncelli in 2011.
The official statement released had this to say:
"Following an incident during today's Moto2 Free Practice 2 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, it is with great sadness that we have to report the passing of Luis Salom (SAG Team).
"The session was red flagged with just under 25 minutes remaining after the Spanish rider fell at turn 12.
"Two medical cars and then two ambulances were immediately on scene to treat the 24-year-old and the medical helicopter was also deployed to assist in his treatment.
"Due the severity of his condition, the decision was taken to transfer Salom by road to the nearby Hospital General de Catalunya. On arrival, he underwent surgery, but despite the best efforts of the trauma team, he passed away at 16:55pm local time.
"Salom made his World Championship debut at Jerez in 2009 in the 125cc category. He finished on the podium in 25 races, including nine victories in the Moto3 World Championship. He finished the 2012 Moto3 World Championship in second position in the standings and a year later was third overall after battling with Maverick Vinales and Alex Rins down to the final round in Valencia.
"He also finished on the podium three times in 41 appearances in the Moto2 World Championship, including a second place pace in the opening round of 2016 at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar.
"The FIM, Dorna, IRTA, RFME and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya wishes to pass on its condolences to the family, friends and team of Salom."
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019
- News2018 INRC: Gaurav Gill claims championship title with Popular Rally victory
- News2019 Ford Figo facelift spotted testing undisguised
- NewsUpdated Force Gurkha Xtreme launched at Rs 12.99 lakh
- NewsKTM working on a bigger and better RC390, to take on Yamaha R3 and Kawasaki Ninja 400
- NewsHyundai QXi sub-four meter SUV spotted testing in South Korea
- NewsLambretta EV to be launched in India in 2020
- News2019 Toyota Camry hybrid to launch in India on January 18
- News2019 Bajaj Platina 110 launched at Rs 47,197
- News2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA teased ahead of debut next month at CES 2019