2016 Paris Motor Show: Mercedes-Benz Generation EQ Concept has Tesla in its sight
If everything that we have heard from Mercedes-Benz today at the 2016 Paris Motor Show is true, then we seem to be just a short while away from hearing the battle horn being blown by the German carmaker against Tesla and its modus operandi.
Mercedes-Benz revealed the Generation EQ Concept - a crossover bodied vehicle that has the typical elements of new-generation MB concepts like flashy blue lights, clean and smooth bodywork, reflective panels for what otherwise would be glass elements on a production car, and of course tons of sci-fi looking lighting and infotainment systems. So the EQ concept certainly looks far from being ready for mass production.
But under the glitzy concept bodywork is a scalable electric drivetrain that Mercedes-Benz hints is as good as production ready. It comprises of a purpose-built 70kWh battery system mated to electric motors that are capable of delivering over 400PS of power, 700Nm of torque and over 600km of driving range. These underpinnings are scalable to produce anything from an entry-level hatchback to an SUV or an S-Class paralleling limo.
That is where the beauty of the EQ lies. The EQ will not only spawn all the electric variants of all vehicle forms that Mercedes-Benz has a strong hold in, it will also give birth to a new ecosystem that will consist fast charging systems, home-based energy storage system and any related infrastructure as well. It is a direct hit against Tesla's concept like the SolarCity.
There is no word yet on exactly when Mercedes-Benz will start rolling out the plan for the EQ, but going by the aggression at which the development is headed, we could see the war against Tesla unfold soon.
More from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Paris Motor Show
Starts Rs 53.25 Lakhs
Starts Rs 71.38 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.99 Lakhs
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi Ethanol
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Thar Wanderlust SUV at the 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Sports EV concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: Tata Tigor and Tiago JTP showcased at 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer and MT-09 Tracer GT
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Stinger concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Tamo Racemo showcased, image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Honda Civic