2016 Paris Motor Show: Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid balances economy and performance
With the 918 Spyder and the 919 Le Mans racer, Porsche has proved to the masses that hybrid technology needn't necessarily mean better driving range and lower CO2 emissions. It can also be used for better performance when the need be. It was just a matter of time before the learnings from the 918 and 919 would filter down to Porsche's more mass-produced cars and the Panamera it is the latest to benefit from it.
The Panamera 4 E-Hybrid was showcased at the 2016 Paris Motor Show and mates a new 2.9l V6 petrol engine to a 136PS electric motor for a combined system output of 462PS. More importantly though, the full power of the electric motor is available even at a gentle dab of the throttle, unlike the previous model where the motor would kick in only beyond 80 per cent of throttle travel. The engine now replaces the previous torque converter with a new 8-speed PDK transmission.
The setup can help the car achieve a top whack of 248km/h which is good news. Furthermore, the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid comes with several modes for the hybrid setup - one that can let the car run on pure electric propulsion for up to 50km with a top speed of up to 140kmph; the E-Charge mode that charges up the batteries while driving using the engine and every regeneration; the E-Hold mode which maintains the current level of the batteries and finally the Hybrid Auto mode that lets the cars computers choose the power sources as per your driving. Sport and Sport Plus modes like any other Porsche ensure maximum performance.
More from OVERDRIVE on the 2016 Paris Motor Show
Starts Rs 1.06 Crore
Starts Rs 71.38 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Clarity fuel cell FCV
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha M-Slaz
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Creon concept