2016 Volkswagen Vento Cup: 12 rookies finalised for this season
The selection process for the 2016 edition of the Vento Cup concluded recently and 12 new drivers have been finalised. This year, Volkswagen Motorsport India received a total of 560 entries from around the country. The selection process lasted 45 days, by the end of which, 62 entries made it to the final round at the Indi Karting Track in Pune. This number was furtherreduced to 12 after the two-day selection process, which tested drivers on fitness, driving skill, learning ability and discipline. These 12 rookieswill be joined on the grid by eight others who've driven in theprevious Vento Cup and Polo Cup championships. All 20 drivers will now take part in a fitness camp and pre-season testing before Round 1 which is scheduled for June, 2016.
At the end of 2015, MMSC won the bid to host the Vento Cup as a part of the FMSCI National Racing Championship from 2016-2018. The 2016 Vento Cup will consist offour rounds that will now be held across three racetracks - the Kari Motor Speedway, MMRT and BIC. The Vento Cup carswill now wear MRF racing slicks, new decals and willuse a slightly reworked suspension system.
Every year we receive a number of entries from aspiring racers showing their willingness to participate in the Vento Cup. It has been Volkswagen Motorsport India's goal to develop and nurture young talent since its inception in 2009 and we are happy that we are able to coach so many drivers every year and provide them with a strong and robust platform like the Vento Cup," said Sirish Vissa, head of Volkswagen Motorsport India.
Interestingly 17 drivers are up to the age of 26 years, which is good because they are the young ones whom we really want to groom," he added.
2016 Vento Cup finalists
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez wins the World Championship
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally