2016 Volkswagen Vento Cup: Ishaan Dodhiwala leads championship ahead of finale
Ishaan Dodhiwala leads the championship ahead of Karminder Pal Singh as the Vento Cup heads to the Buddh International Circuit for the 2016 season finale
The 2016 Volkswagen Vento Cup has had three action pack rounds so far, and as it heads into the season finale at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC), things look like they'll get even more nail-biting.
The battle for the championship is very close, with Ishaan Dodhiwala in the lead of the championship with 408 points. He's followed closely by Karminder Singh who is 34 points adrift, with 376 points. Third in the championship standings is Keith Desouza, with 324 points, while Niranjan Todakari has 300 points. The fight for the top spot looks to be as exciting as the battle for overall third.
While the switch to the Buddh International Circuit is not easy for some drivers to make, as they aren't familiar with the track, Volkswagen Motorsport India has arranged for a test session at the circuit on September 28, just ahead of the finale.
Heading into the final round as the championship leader, Dodhiwala had this to say:
"It feels good to come back to BIC for the final round and the fact that I have raced here before gives me confidence to take on the pressures that come with the season finale. This is the time to put in my 100% and translate this lead into an overall victory."
Meanwhile, Singh, who has narrowly lost out on the title in the past said, "Even though I am 34 points behind Ishaan, I am hopeful of making a strong comeback in the final round. It is important for me to stay consistent and keep a steady pace. Qualifying will be very important a good position on the grid will definitely help me in getting an upper hand in the final round. And of course, Delhi is my home ground and it is always been a special track to win at!"
The winner of the 2016 Volkswagen Polo Cup will get a fully sponsored season in the 2017 MRF 1600 championship, while the Junior Champion will get a fully backed drive in the 2017 Volkswagen Motorsport India one-make racing series.
Starts Rs 8.19 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.42 Lakhs
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsMaharashtra government announces tax exemption for electric vehicles
- News2018 Toyota Yaris Cross hatchback details revealed
- NewsPorsche to invest $ 7.4 billion by 2022 towards electric vehicles
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi Ethanol
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Thar Wanderlust SUV at the 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Sports EV concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: Tata Tigor and Tiago JTP showcased at 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: 2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6