2017 BMW 5 Series launched in India at Rs 49.9 lakh
In the premium sedan segment, when one refers to a sedan that combines the best of performance and comfort, it is generally the BMW 5 Series that features somewhere in the top. And now BMW has brought in the new-gen 5 Series to India at Rs 49.9 lakh, ex-Mumbai. The new-gen BMW 5 Series was revealed internationally last year, wherein the updated design and feature list was revealed. BMW India is bringing the new iteration to the country in CKD form. The German car manufacturer has already started production of the 5 Series in India.
However, the most important change is that the 2017 5 Series is 100kg lighter than its predecessor. And that has been achieved with the use of aluminium and high-strength steel. As expected, the 2017 BMW 5 Series takes its major design cues from the flagship offering, the 7 Series. This can be seen with the familiar BMW kidney grille teamed with twin circular LED headlights flowing into the grille. The air vents housing the fog lamps have also received a design revision. The interiors too have been revised with a new design; however, it does bear strong resemblance to the previous model. The cabin features an ebony-beige colour combination. The wooden-finished veneers and the piano black surround of the central panel make the cabin of the new 5 series resemble that of the new 7 Series.
The 2017 BMW measures 4,935mm in length and 1,868mm in width, making it 36mm longer and 6mm wider than the previous version. The new iteration is also taller by 2mm at 1,466mm and has a wheelbase of 2,975mm up by 7mm. BMW states that the G30 5 Series offers the best coefficient of drag at 0.22 Cd that is 10 per cent lower than the previous version.
In terms of powertrain, the 2017 BMW 5 Series that has arrived in India comes in the 530d guise. This model makes use of a 6-cylinder 2,993cc diesel unit that produces a peak output of 265PS and 620Nm. Additionally, BMW has brought in the 4-cylinder diesel 520d model. This one makes a peak power output of 190PS and generates 400Nm between 1,750-2,500rpm. BMW claims that the top speed is limited to 250kmph while 0 to 100kmph can be done in 7.7s. BMW has also brought in the 530i, a successor of the 528i. This one makes 252PS and 350Nm. The 530i is limited to 250kmph and will take 6.2s to hit 100kmph, says BMW. We have already driven the 2017 BMW 5 Series, you can read the detailed first impressions here.
The new-gen BMW 5 Series competes with the likes of the Mercedes Benz E-Class and the Audi A6.
Starts Rs 52 Lakhs
Starts Rs 51.93 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsHarley-Davidson Fat Boy from Terminator 2 film to be auctioned for $ 200,000
- NewsImage Gallery: New Volvo XC40 SUV India debut
- NewsImage gallery: Pagani Huayra BC 'Macchina Volante' spotted in Geneva
- FeaturesPreview: 2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
- NewsJaguar J-Pace flagship SUV to make global debut by 2021
- NewsYamaha Niken launched in UK at GBP 13,499
- NewsRemembering the 'Kentucky Kid' Nicky Hayden a year later
- NewsRenault to focus on few core models to build its India business
- NewsFuel prices in India at record high, petrol reaches Rs 84.70 per litre while diesel priced at Rs 72.48 per litre
- NewsHyundai India to hike prices of its cars by 2 per cent from June 2018