2017 F1: Mercedes-AMG F1 launches W08 at Silverstone
2017 Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 at the Silverstone racetrack
Mercedes-AMG F1 unveiled the W08 at Silverstone earlier today. Driver Lewis Hamilton put in laps at the British racetrack just ahead of the car's official media launch.
The W08 is lower and wider than Mercedes AMG F1's 2017 machine, and features a smaller version of the shark fin on the engine cover. Although whether that will make it to the car that takes to the track at the first race at Australia later this year remains to be seen.
Lewis Hamilton put in the first laps in the W08 ahead of the media launch
Mercedes revealed that only 17 per cent of the W08's parts are sourced from the previous year's car. The team also revealed that the floor and bargeboard area had received considerable work, as also the car's overall aerodynamics.
The Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 features a smaller version of the shark-fin engine cover
Powering the W08 is the new M08 engine, that has been redesigned for 2017. One of the key factors that went into the redesign of the engine was the fact that the increased downforce meant that drivers will now spend more time fully on the throttle, which also means that the engines need to last longer and be more reliable, especially since each driver is only allowed four engines over the course of the 2017 season.
Lower and wider front and rear wings on the W08
Hamilton, who drove the car said that he believed it to be "fantastic" after his laps at Silverstone.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Clarity fuel cell FCV
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha M-Slaz
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Creon concept