2017 Formula Racing Junior Series to feature drivers from Sri Lanka and UAE
The Kari Motor Speedway will host the first round of the second edition of the Formula Racing Junior Series. The championship will feature Formula LGB 1300 machines, and is only open to drivers who have not had a podium in any FMSCI approved motor racing championships. The winner of the championship, that will be held over 10 races in two rounds, will gain a fully sponsored season in the Formula LGB F4 championship.
Twelve drivers are expected to compete in the championship this year, with racing hopefuls from Sri Lanka and the UAE also part of the grid. The championship hopes to bridge the gap between karting and formula racing, and was conceived by Meco Motorsports boss and former F3 champion, Akbar Ebrahim. Ebrahim is now FMSCI president.
"The FJRS provides an affordable platform to young racers in the country to showcase their skills and break into the big league," Ebrahim said, on the eve of the series. "The first edition was a super hit and helped us identify good talent at the entry level," he added.
While the winner will get a free drive in the entire 2017 LGB F4 Championship, the runner-up will get two free drives in the series, and the second-runner up will get one free drive in the championship.
Also held alongside the FLGB 1300, are four categories of motorcycle races, including one exclusively for ladies.
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- News2018 Hyundai Elite i20 automatic reaches dealerships, priced at Rs 7.04 lakh
- NewsNASCAR Whelen Euro Series 2018: Advait Deodhar leads Elite Club division with podium finish in Italy
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- FeaturesAdvertorial: Balajee Bobba - Adventurer with an Eye on Safety #WhatDrivesYou
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead
- News2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV launched in India at Rs 2.32 crore