2017 Suzuki Swift Hybrid unveiled
After unveiling the first of the lines of the all-new Swift earlier today, Suzuki have now showcased the hybrid versions in Japan. The variants are called Suzuki Swift Hybrid SG and Suzuki Swift Hybrid SL.
Now you may recollect that the Swift which was showcased earlier too had a hybrid. The ones around which this story is centred though are full-blown hybrids unlike the SHVS-equipped mild ones from before. Coupled to the 91PS 1.2-litre petrol engine is a 10kW electric motor generator. A 5-speed AMT is mated to this engine. Essentially the motor shuts off the internal combustion engine when it detects that the vehicle is coasting with a relatively lower road and in heavy traffic conditions. The motor has enough juice to allow the Swift to travel for some distance on electric power alone, before the petrol engine takes over. The car comes in two-wheel drive mode and Suzuki claims a fuel efficiency of 32kmpl in the Japanese cycle. Given that the Swift hybrid weighs in less than 1,000kg, it also qualifies for tax breaks in Japan.
On the outside, there are no changes to the Swift except for the 'Hybrid' badge on the front fender. Inside the cabin, there is a prominent blue outline to the gear selector and a blue display for the meters with a hybrid indicator showing the power graph. The SL trim also comes with paddle shifters. Suzuki has equipped the Swift hybrid with Dual Sensor Brake Support as well as lasers and cameras to help detect pedestrians. This is in addition to the six airbags that the car comes with.
Is it coming to India? Given the lax attitude towards hybrids in the GST structure, Maruti Suzuki may not bring it here given the additional cost that it will come with.
Check our image gallery of the new Suzuki Swift hybrid here
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
- NewsImage gallery: BMW G 310 GS launched in India at Rs 2.99 lakh
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport partners with Wheels India to develop new forged alloy wheels for the Vento TC4-A touring car
- NewsBig Boy Toyz inaugurates showroom in Mumbai
- NewsNew-generation Lexus ES 300h bookings open in India, priced at Rs 59.13 lakh
- News2018 Honda Jazz launched in India at Rs 7.35 lakh
- NewsEESL puts second tender to acquire 10,000 EVs on hold
- NewsSuzuki Burgman Street launched in India at Rs 68,000
- NewsLive Updates: Suzuki Burgman Street 125 India launch
- News2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed: Polestar 1 production-spec prototype debuts
- NewsImage gallery: BMW G 310 GS launched in India at Rs 3.49 lakh