2017 Toyota Racing Series: Victory for Jehan Daruvala in New Zealand
2017 has gotten off to a good start for Jehan Daruvala. The Indian racer was fastest during all the free practice sessions, and bagged pole for races 1 and 3 at the opening round of the 2017 Toyota Racing Series at Ruapuna Park, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Jehan Daruvala successfully defended the Lady Wigram Trophy, bagging it for the second year in a row in 2017
On his way to pole position for Race 3, Jehan managed to break the circuit lap record, clocking a time of 1min 16.800sec.
While the first race got off to a good start for Jehan, a Safety Car situation meant that rival Marcus Armstrong was able to take advantage of the situation and move into the lead. The race ended with Armstrong first, Daruvala second and Richard Verschoor third.
Daruvala broke the circuit lap record during qualifying for Race 3 at Ruapuna Park
Things were tricky in Race 2, with the Indian driver suffering a DNF. However, he came back strong in Race 3, starting from pole and leading the race till the chequered flag fell. Finishing second behind Daruvala was Enaam Ahmed, while Pedro Piquet finished third.
Jehan stands third in the championship after Round 1, with 142 points, behind Verschoor on 181 points and Thomas Randle who has 178 points. However, Daruvala still managed to bag the Lady Wigram trophy for the second year in a row thanks to his double podium.
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- FeaturesOn test at OVERDRIVE: Baja Designs XL80 auxiliary lights
- News2018 Hyundai Elite i20 automatic reaches dealerships, priced at Rs 7.04 lakh
- NewsNASCAR Whelen Euro Series 2018: Advait Deodhar leads Elite Club division with podium finish in Italy
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- FeaturesAdvertorial: Balajee Bobba - Adventurer with an Eye on Safety #WhatDrivesYou
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead