2017 VW Ameo Cup Rd 4: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins first race of the weekend
Round 4 of the Volkswagen Ameo Cup 2017 has so far been dominated by an in-form Saurav Bandyopadhyay from Mumbai. Saurav had been on the top of the timing sheets during the Free Practice and Qualifying sessions on Friday. He validated his lead with a win in Saturday's race at the Madras Motor Race Track in Chennai. Also on the podium was guest racer Anning Sun from China, followed by A Sandeep Kumar in third place.
The first race of the weekend - Race 8 in the series - on Saturday proved exciting as the top eight finishers were only separated by a second. As the lights went off Saurav got a perfect launch and maintained his lead going into the first corner. Anning, Sandeep and Donovan Vaz got a good start as well and retained their positions into the first corner. Aditya Pawar and Jeet Jhabakh made contact with each other as they entered the second corner. The incident was enough to retire both of them from the race and bring out the Safety Car.
Saurav Bandyopadhyay leads the race on Saturday.
However, title favourite Karminder Pal Singh did not have a great start to the weekend having qualified in the eighth place. He climbed up to fifth position but later dropped down to seventh in the second last lap. Rashad Khan and Siddharth Kotecha who had started eleventh and twelfth got past Karminder to take fifth and sixth positions respectively.
(From left) Sirish Vissa of VS Motorsport India, Anning Sun, Saurav Bandyppadhyay and A Sandeep Kumar.
An excited Saurav said that after much data analysis and time on the simulator, he managed his second win of the season, and called it his best race so far. Saurav, having gained maximum points in Race 8, has moved up a position in the battle for the Ameo Cup 2017 title. Karminder, despite a mediocre performance, has a strong 92-point lead and continues to be the title favourite. The last two races of the 2017 season will be held on Sunday at the MMRT.
Starts Rs 5.66 Lakhs
- News2019 Nissan GT-R prices for the U.S. market announced
- NewsTata Nexon SUV becomes first Indian-origin car to score five-star Global NCAP rating
- NewsShell India and Gordon Murray Design unveil pre-production OX Truck
- News2019 FIA F3 Championship: Jehan Daruvala to drive for Prema Racing
- NewsThe Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign concept is headed to production in 2019
- NewsTata Harrier SUV seven-seater version to debut in 2019, one of three major Tata launches next year
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Skoda Scala
- News2019 Skoda Scala premium hatchback unveiled internationally
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India crosses the 40 lakh sales milestone
- Review2019 Tata Harrier first drive review