2018 BMW Concept 8 Series coupe showcased at Pebble Beach
German automaker BMW showed off the 2018 BMW Concept 8 Series coupe at Pebble Beach during the Monterey Car Week, alongside the world debut of the 2019 BMW Z4. The coupe had made its world debut at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in Italy during May. The Concept 8 Series marks BMW's return to the world of range-topping grand touring coupes in style, the kind that enjoyed favour among power brokers of the 1980s and 1990s across the USA and Europe.
Design cues from the environmentally-friendly i8 hybrid sportscar catch the Concept 8 up to present-day BMW style lines, and details such as the sleek swept-back headlamps and the sculpted rear with slim taillamps make the Concept 8 Series a very attractive package. While the exterior exudes class, the interior is equally attractive with a present-meets-future theme. The instrument cluster in the Concept 8 Series car gets a TFT display with a completely revised user interface and new graphics. The interior trim is a combination of aluminium and dark leather.
Details of the engine options have not been revealed by the company yet and will be announced as the car's international launch nears in 2018. However, it has been reported that with it being the company's flagship coupe, the Concept 8 Series could be powered by the same twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 that you will find under the hood of the new M5. With the existence of the i8 in the same segment, it is unclear if BMW will offer hybrid or electric versions of the 8 Series coupe.
The BMW 8 Series coupe will compete with the S-Class coupe from Mercedes-Benz. To rival the AMG version of the latter, BMW may launch an even more powerful M8 subsequently, and we can only imagine the outrageous power that could generate. A convertible version of the 8-series was already spied testing in Europe earlier this year.
Starts Rs 81.8 Lakhs
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Jaguar F-Type P300 R-Dynamic road test review
- NewsFCA launches Jeep Connect outlets in India.
- NewsNASCAR Whelen Euro Series 2018: Advait Deodhar wins the Elite Club championship
- NewsNew-gen Honda Amaze crosses 50,000 sales mark in five months in India
- NewsF1 2018: Kimi Raikkonen takes victory at US GP