2018 BMW Concept 8 Series coupe showcased at Pebble Beach
German automaker BMW showed off the 2018 BMW Concept 8 Series coupe at Pebble Beach during the Monterey Car Week, alongside the world debut of the 2019 BMW Z4. The coupe had made its world debut at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in Italy during May. The Concept 8 Series marks BMW's return to the world of range-topping grand touring coupes in style, the kind that enjoyed favour among power brokers of the 1980s and 1990s across the USA and Europe.
Design cues from the environmentally-friendly i8 hybrid sportscar catch the Concept 8 up to present-day BMW style lines, and details such as the sleek swept-back headlamps and the sculpted rear with slim taillamps make the Concept 8 Series a very attractive package. While the exterior exudes class, the interior is equally attractive with a present-meets-future theme. The instrument cluster in the Concept 8 Series car gets a TFT display with a completely revised user interface and new graphics. The interior trim is a combination of aluminium and dark leather.
Details of the engine options have not been revealed by the company yet and will be announced as the car's international launch nears in 2018. However, it has been reported that with it being the company's flagship coupe, the Concept 8 Series could be powered by the same twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 that you will find under the hood of the new M5. With the existence of the i8 in the same segment, it is unclear if BMW will offer hybrid or electric versions of the 8 Series coupe.
The BMW 8 Series coupe will compete with the S-Class coupe from Mercedes-Benz. To rival the AMG version of the latter, BMW may launch an even more powerful M8 subsequently, and we can only imagine the outrageous power that could generate. A convertible version of the 8-series was already spied testing in Europe earlier this year.
Starts Rs 81.8 Lakhs
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa