2018 India Baja to be held between August 17-19 in Jaisalmer
The third edition of the India Baja off-road motorsport event will be held in the deserts around Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, between August 17 and 19. Participants in the event will compete in Baja format rallies covering over 400 km of Special Stages and 150+ km of Transport Stages, covering some challenging off-road terrain in the Thar desert. Contenders are expected to battle temperatures higher than 50 degrees Celsius during the course of the rally.
Setting this event apart from other such competitions of this type is that the top finisher will get direct entry to the 2020 Dakar Rally. The India Baja 2018 winner will also be entitled to complimentary entry to the Afriquia Merzouga Rally 2019. Total monetary advantages to the winner of the competition amount to 20,000 or Rs 16 lakh, which covers the registration fee for one motorcycle in both events. Further, the top-placed contenders in all categories at India Baja 2018 will be awarded direct entry to the Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm rally of 2019.
Jayesh Desai, the co-founder and director of northern Motorsport, the firm organising this outing said that the stature of India Baja in country's motorsport scenario could be gauged from the fact that the number of people signing up continues to grow each year. These are very encouraging trends for his firm and he wishes to thank the Indian motorsport fraternity for the love and acceptance they've shown towards this cross-country rally. He pledged to bring an even more challenging and better experience this year around.
He further added that Northern Motorsport was grateful to ASO, the organising body of the Dakar rally, in entrusting their organisation with the Dakar Challenge brand in India. They were also humbled by the exceptional hospitality that they receive in Rajasthan, compelling them to return every year.
Hero MotoSport Team Rally's Joaquim Rodrigues led the Moto category at the 2017 India Baja
The first edition of the India Baja took place in 2016 which saw good participation among off-road rally enthusiasts from all across the country. This led to the organizers association with the team from Dakar.
- NewsMaruti Suzuki S-Cross crosses one lakh sales figure
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Santro vs Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio
- News2018 Hyundai Santro: Launch image gallery
- News2018 Hyundai Santro launched in India at Rs 3.90 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Hero Destini 125 scooter quick ride review