2018 INRC: Vicky Chandhok to compete in Chennai Rally in a VW Polo R2
The first round of the 2018 MRF FMSCI Indian National Rally Championship (INRC) will begin on the 27th of April 2018 in Chennai. Joining the list of drivers competing in the event is Vicky Chandhok who is a former FMSCI president, and an old hand as far as racing and rallying in India goes. Chandhok, who last competed in a motorsport event in 2000, will be making a one-off return to the sport in a Volkswagen Polo R2, developed by Volkswagen Motorsport India. R Chandramouli from Bangalore will be Chandhok's navigator at the event.
Speaking of his return to motorsport, in a competitive role, after a long period of time, Chandhok said, "I am truly excited to be back rallying competitively after a break of over 17 years. The competition has surely evolved since the last time I rallied and I want to test myself against the best in the country."
Chandhok added that a test drive of the Polo R2 earlier this year at the Chennai track convinced him that it was the perfect machine in which to make his comeback.
Sirish Vissa, head of Volkswagen Motorsport India said, "Alongside the development of our Ameo Cup cars for the upcoming season, the team has also been working simultaneously on the development of the Volkswagen Polo R2 rally car. The R2 rally car has gone through extensive testing and we are excited to see how well the car will perform this season. It is an honour for us that Vicky will be in the driving seat of our rally spec Volkswagen Polo R2 and we are excited to see how the car, driver and navigator all come together!"
Vicky Chandhok is the father of Karun Chandhok, who is only the second Indian driver to make it to Formula 1, and the only Indian driver to compete at Le Mans. Chandhok Sr began his racing career back in 1972 and continued rallying until 2000 - the South India Rally that year, which he won, was his last event. In addition, he has raced Formula Fords, Formula Indians, Formula 3 and Formula 2 machines in Indian circuit racing. He has won events like the Himalayan Rally, Rallye d'Endurance, South India Rally, Popular Rally and Charminar Challenge over the course of his career.
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead
- News2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV launched in India at Rs 2.32 crore
- NewsNew Volvo S60 sedan will not have a diesel engine option
- NewsUpcoming Tata H5X SUV spotted testing again in new video
- NewsFormula E: Heidfeld scores points for Mahindra Racing at Berlin ePrix