2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
The second round of the 2018 Ameo Cup hit its stride today, July 21, at the Madras Motor Race Track near Chennai. The first race of this weekend saw Saurav Bandyopadhyay take the win.
As has now become a regular feature in these races, a lot of overtaking and aggressive manoeuvres was seen throughout the grid. Bandyopadhyay started out in second place behind last round's front-runner Dhruv Mohite but quickly overtook him in the first lap itself.
Ameo Cup Round 2 Race 1 Winner - Saurav(#14) and 3rd position - Dhruv(#19) jostling for positions
A similar situation unfolded between the drivers starting third and fourth. Starting fourth, Shubomoy Ball got the better of Anmol Singh Sahil in front of him. But Sahil fought back to get past Ball, eventually getting the better of Mohite, who ended the race in third.
Mohite later said that his relatively poor show was because he just couldn't get the feel of the car as well as he would have liked.
Earlier during qualifying on Friday, Mohite from Kolhapur was fastest.
L-R Anmol Singh Sahil, Saurav Bandyopadhyay and Dhruv Mohite
Speaking about today's race, Sirish Vissa, head of Volkswagen Motorsport India said that while the conditions today did not make it any easier on the cars or the drivers, he was happy with the performance of the car. The focus of the drivers also remained high. He went on to say that this race gave the drivers a glimpse into the next 5 races that will be held in Chennai under similar conditions.
- NewsMaruti Suzuki S-Cross crosses one lakh sales figure
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Santro vs Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio
- News2018 Hyundai Santro: Launch image gallery
- News2018 Hyundai Santro launched in India at Rs 3.90 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Hero Destini 125 scooter quick ride review