2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback debuts in the United States
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is based on Toyota's new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform and is effectively the US-spec version of the Auris hatchback revealed at the Geneva Motor Show a few months back. The car is now 38.1mm longer, 30.4mm wider and 25.4mm lower than its predecessor with most of the length being added to the wheelbase.
The car will be powered by a new 2.0-litre petrol motor in the US market that makes 168PS and 205Nm. The engine is lighter, and more efficient than the present 1.8 petrol which is also found in the Indian-spec car, with increases of 28PS and 27Nm. This engine will be paired with a new 6-speed manual with auto rev-matching or a new CVT automatic which features a fixed clutch-engaged first gear that improves off-the-line performance and feel.
The exterior design of the new car is more aggressive than the outgoing model, with LED lighting throughout, and follows the design language of its American market Camry and C-HR small SUV. The all-black interiors have also been redesigned but the simple design theme of the earlier car carries over. The major additions are an all-digital instrument cluster and a new 8-inch floating touchscreen on the centre console. The infotainment now has Android Auto/Apple Car Play as well as Amazon Alexa integration. The American car will be available with Toyota's latest active safety tech suite that comes with automatic high-beam, a pedestrian-detecting pre-collision system, lane departure warning and lane-keep assist. The suspension has also been given a sportier tune as compared to the earlier car.
The Corolla has been Toyota's bread-and-butter product line since it's launch in 1966. While this new 12th-gen hatchback will probably not make it to India, this car's sedan equivalent (expected internationally in 2019) will eventually replace the current Corolla Altis sedan.
- NewsSete Gibernau joins 2019 MotoE rider line-up
- News2018 Mahindra Scorpio S9 launched in India at Rs 13.99 lakh
- FeaturesTVS Apache: Three million and counting...
- NewsTata 45X premium hatchback spotted testing ahead of Diwali 2019 launch
- NewsThird generation Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door coupe to launch in India on November 16
- NewsHyundai Verna gets a new 1.4 litre diesel option, other new variants
- NewsToyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo 2 SUV unveiled in Thailand with sportier trim
- NewsE-Trio Automobiles to launch retrofitted EV conversion kits for Alto and Wagon R
- NewsRoyal Enfield Thunderbird 350X ABS and 500X ABS spotted at dealerships in India
- News2019 Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro image gallery