2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback revealed before 2018 New York Auto Show debut
Toyota has revealed the new CorollaHatchback before its official launch at the New York auto show this week. The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is based on Toyota's new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform and is effectively the US-spec version of the Auris hatchback revealed at the Geneva Motor Show last month. The car is now 38.1mm longer, 30.4mm wider and 25.4mm lower than its predecessor with most of the length being added to the wheelbase. The car will be powered by a new 2.0-litre petrol motor in the US market. No power figures have been revealed but it is expected to be lighter, more powerful and more efficient than the present 1.8 petrol which is also found in the Indian-spec car. This engine will be paired with a new 6-speed manual with auto rev-matching or a new CVT automatic.
The exterior design of the new car is more aggressive than the outgoing model, with LED lighting throughout, and follows the design language of its American market Camry and C-HR small SUV. The all-black interiors have also been redesigned but the simple design theme of the earlier car carries over. The major additions are an all-digital instrument cluster and a new 8-inch floating touchscreen on the centre console. The infotainment now has Android Auto/Apple Car Play as well as Amazon Alexa integration. The American car will be available with Toyota's latest active safety tech suite that comes with automatic high-beam, a pedestrian-detecting pre-collision system, lane departure warning and lane-keep assist. The suspension has also been given a sportier tune as compared to the earlier car.
The Corolla has been Toyota's bread-and-butter product line since it's launch in 1966. While this new 12th-gen hatchback will probably not make it to India, this car's sedan equivalent (expected internationally in 2019) will eventually replace the current Corolla Altis sedan.
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race: Volkswagen Vento TC4-A Racecar first drive review