30 teams participate in Monsoon Run Rally 2014
The Monsoon Run Rally organised by the Motor Sports Association of East India and Calcutta Motor Sports Club was held from July 11-12. 30 teams participating in the event were flagged from Hotel De Sovrani at Salt Lake City, Kolkata.
The rally route began at the Dankuni Toll Plaza in Kolkata on the National Highway to Delhi and was dotted with a few historical sites. Among these were the abandoned World War II airstrips near Bardhaman and Orgram and special section of the route was named 'Paul's Terrain' in honour of Prasanta Paul. Passing through the mud roads of Pichkuri village, and the forests of Valki-Machan, terminating at 11 Mile on the Mourigram Road near Durgapur, the route proved to be challenging one for all of the 30 teams. It was a perfect ground for testing their prowess at the wheel and their ability to navigate through tough terrain under time constraints.
The 35 time controls or check points were inclusive of five GPS assisted ones, which proved to be the toughest sections as they required drivers to navigate through them without any visible time checks.
Amongst the 30 teams, 28 finished within the prescribed time limit. The event was conducted with the support of the West Bengal Police and the local people in the village areas the rally passed through.
The recipients of the first prize or the Prasanta Paul Memorial Trophy were Subir Roy and navigator Arindam Ghosh, who scored a cash prize of Rs 30,000. Runners-up were Jogendra Kr. Jaiswal with navigator Amit Kr. Saha and Anubhav De with navigator Chandan Sen. There was also a special prize for best performance in 'Paul's Terrain' which was bagged by Ashish Budhia from Jharkhand.
- NewsMaruti Suzuki registers five lakh cumulative CNG vehicle sales in India
- NewsTeams from Varanasi, Delhi and Vellore win Shell Eco Marathon India
- NewsMcLaren 720S Spider convertible revealed, locks horns with Ferrari 488
- News2019 Nissan GT-R prices for the U.S. market announced
- NewsTata Nexon SUV becomes first Indian-origin car to score five-star Global NCAP rating
- NewsShell India and Gordon Murray Design unveil pre-production OX Truck
- News2019 FIA F3 Championship: Jehan Daruvala to drive for Prema Racing
- NewsThe Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign concept is headed to production in 2019
- NewsTata Harrier SUV seven-seater version to debut in 2019, one of three major Tata launches next year
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Skoda Scala