35,000$ Tesla Model 3 base model might arrive in July 2018
Tesla reported its first-quarter earnings recently. It is here that the company announced offering more options and features like all-wheel drive and also a 35,000$ base model with a standard-sized battery pack, once the company achieves its target of making 5,000 units per week of the Model 3.
Tesla plans on achieving the target of manufacturing 5,000 units of the Model 3 per week in the next two months. This means more options in the standard offering along with the base 35,000$ model can be expected to arrive in July this year. If at all Tesla can price the base model at 35,000$, the Model 3 will compete with the likes of the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Bolt.
Last month, Tesla has temporarily shut down the manufacturing of the Model 3. This was the second such stop in production at its Freemont, California plant since February and a company representative was quoted as saying that this was these periods are used to improve automation and systematically address bottlenecks in order to increase production rates. During the four or five-day production pause workers are expected to use vacation days or stay home without pay while a small number of workers may be offered paid work elsewhere in the factory.
The tech startup uses a highly automated production process which is still to be perfectly streamlined. While initial production goals were set at 5,000 unit/week by end-2017, Tesla now says they will achieve this figure only by the end of 2018. Tesla also missed its short-term production goal of 2,500 units/week by the end of first quarter 2018. It was producing 2,000 Model 3s a week as of April 1. The effect of this is waiting periods which stretch to two years in some markets.
Tesla Motors claims that the Model 3 can do 0-100kmph in less than six seconds. It will cover a distance of 346kms in one full charge. Additionally, Tesla plans to install 3600 superchargers and quadruple the number of destination chargers which will be done with tie-ups with restaurants, hotels and stores.
- News2018 LA Motor Show: Hyundai Palisade three-row SUV leaked ahead of official reveal
- FeaturesOsian's auction of a collection of automobile memorabilia from the pricely state of Bhavnagar
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class hatchback gets new diesel engines in Europe
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift recalled over faulty speedometer assembly
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross now available with the limited run 'Jonty Rhodes Limited 30' package for Rs 1.99 lakh
- NewsMcLaren Speedtail testing begins before 2020 deliveries
- NewsHonda Cars India could launch its first electric vehicle in India by 2023-2024
- NewsSete Gibernau joins 2019 MotoE rider line-up
- News2018 Mahindra Scorpio S9 launched in India at Rs 13.99 lakh
- FeaturesTVS Apache: Three million and counting...