Apollo Tyres designs variable front spoiler for Porsche 911 Turbo
Apollo Tyres has added another feather in its cap. The tyre manufacturer in a partnership with Porsche has developed the variable front spoiler of the new 911 Turbo and Turbo S. Called 'Air Master by Vredestein', the spoiler has been patented by both Apollo and Porsche and is a part of the latter's Active Aerodynamics system. The spoiler retracts under the bumper at low speeds which gives the 911 enough ground clearance over speed breakers. At high speeds, the spoiler extends to optimise the airflow around the wheels. Porsche claims this also brings in reduced fuel consumption numbers. In performance mode, the spoiler generates downforce which gives the car a high cornering threshold and aids in stability. The spoiler is powered pneumatically with several air chambers giving it the required shape.
Air Master by Vredestein
Commenting on this innovative spoiler, Peter Snel, chief, R&D (PV), Apollo Tyres Ltd, said "I am quite excited with this innovation by the team, especially because the team has gone beyond the usual tyre-related research. This also demonstrates Porsche's confidence on us for developing such an item. The variable front spoiler is made with a specially developed EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) rubber, which combines flexibility, to adapt to the required aerodynamics under all weather conditions and ambient temperatures, with the strength and elasticity to withstand impact damage from road particles."
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
Starts Rs 2.14 Crore
- FeaturesIndependence Quattro Drive 2018: From Chandigarh to Leh
- NewsDrag strip-only Ford Mustang Cobra Jet unveiled
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV to be launched in India on September 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Pre-scrutiny image gallery
- NewsHarley-Davidson India rolls out new Street to Softail trade-in offer
- NewsKerala floods: Nissan India offers service support to affected customers
- NewsHero MotoCorp re-enters used two-wheeler business with Hero Sure in India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to get more safety features
- NewsTata Nexon compact SUV crosses the 50,000 production mark
- NewsAutomobili Pininfarina PF0 all-electric concept hypercar interior revealed