Apollo Tyres designs variable front spoiler for Porsche 911 Turbo
Apollo Tyres has added another feather in its cap. The tyre manufacturer in a partnership with Porsche has developed the variable front spoiler of the new 911 Turbo and Turbo S. Called 'Air Master by Vredestein', the spoiler has been patented by both Apollo and Porsche and is a part of the latter's Active Aerodynamics system. The spoiler retracts under the bumper at low speeds which gives the 911 enough ground clearance over speed breakers. At high speeds, the spoiler extends to optimise the airflow around the wheels. Porsche claims this also brings in reduced fuel consumption numbers. In performance mode, the spoiler generates downforce which gives the car a high cornering threshold and aids in stability. The spoiler is powered pneumatically with several air chambers giving it the required shape.
Air Master by Vredestein
Commenting on this innovative spoiler, Peter Snel, chief, R&D (PV), Apollo Tyres Ltd, said "I am quite excited with this innovation by the team, especially because the team has gone beyond the usual tyre-related research. This also demonstrates Porsche's confidence on us for developing such an item. The variable front spoiler is made with a specially developed EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) rubber, which combines flexibility, to adapt to the required aerodynamics under all weather conditions and ambient temperatures, with the strength and elasticity to withstand impact damage from road particles."
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
Starts Rs 2.14 Crore
- FeaturesPractical high-performance: Top super sedans in India
- News2020 Honda X-Blade BSVI launched in India at Rs 1.05 lakh
- News2020 Honda City RS turbo-petrol under consideration for India
- NewsYamaha to offer special finance scheme for frontline warriors of COVID19
- NewsBSVI petrol 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched in India, prices start from Rs 57.99 lakh
- Digitising Text
- Abstract | Winners and Honourable Mentions
- BP Tip of the Day: Getting Out of a Creative Block