Auto Expo 2014: Hero ZIR unveiled in India
Hero showed off their intense focus on scooters, India's fastest growing two-wheeler segment outside of the much smaller premium motorcycle segment. The biggest scooter they showed was the ZIR, featuring two closely-set but different styling packages, both powered by a 157cc engine. The engine is pretty interesting in spec, using its liquid-cooled, 4-valve engine to make 14.08PS at 8500rpm and 12.7Nm of torque at 7,000rpm. Hero hasn't set forth a launch plan in stone yet, but we believe the ZIR should be on sale by 2015-end or 2016.
The ZIR showed off two styling packages, one called the 'European' look and the other featuring a flat footboard, something Hero believes is likely to sit well with Indian customers. Typically, European scooters don't have flat footboard allowing the huge underseat storage on these scooters to make up for it. The European-style ZIR also featured a lovely swept back screen through the big visual details are identical to the other ZIR.
The second ZIR featured a more upright screen mounted to the handlebar for a more conventional look and arguably, the most conservative and less sporty design.
But the rest of the design details were similar, from the massive front apron featuring, evidently, only a giant NACA-style duct that leads to a fan mounted in front of the radiator. The scooter looks neat overall but we can't help but think that it could have looked neater and simpler though it is still a concept so some refining work is sure to be done before it goes on commercial sale. The ZIR is set for sale in India in one or both versions while the 'Euro' version is going to be exported from India.
Hero says the ZIR is capable of over 110kmph and has hydraulic discs front and rear as well as a 9-litre tank to ensure its dynamic ability and range are good. Both bikes wear projector lamps, daytime running lamps, LED indicators, alloy wheels, all-digital instruments and in a neat touch, the calipers are painted to match the body colour.
UPDATE: The Hero Zir will be launched in India by the first half of fiscal 2015-16
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out
- NewsSIAM and Ministry of Road Transport and Highways kick-off road safety week
- NewsImage Gallery: Volkswagen I. D. R Pikes Peak hill climb prototype racer revealed
- NewsUniform road tax across states soon, plans the central government
- NewsBMW 8 Series spotted testing in convertible form
- News2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 being offered at Rs 20,000 discount by dealership
- NewsHonda Monkey 125 confirmed for production
- NewsSpec comparo: Kawasaki Vulcan 650 S vs Harley-Davidson Street Rod