Auto Expo 2018: 110PS/150Nm Tata Tiago Sport showcased, rivals Baleno RS and Polo GT TSI?
Last year, we told you about Tata Motors announcing its partnership with the Coimbatore based Jayem Automotives called JT Special Vehicles Pvt. Ltd., a 50:50 joint venture. It was confirmed back then that the first performance-spec offering from this partnership would be launched in India in 2018. And now Tata Motors has showcased the Tiago Sport that looks ready to reach dealerships across the country.
The Tata Tiago hatchback has been doing strong numbers for the company in terms of sales. The Tiago Sport comes equipped with a 1.2L turbocharged Revotron motor that makes 110PS and generates 150Nm of torque, which is much more than the 85PS/114Nm in regular version. This motor is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The company has still not disclosed any claimed figures on acceleration and top speed which we expect to be quicker and faster than the regular Tata Tiago.
In terms of design, the Tata Tiago Sport comes with sportier styled kits that includes larger scoops on the bumpers and side skirts along with distinct exterior colour schemes, similar to the Tata Sport that was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo in India. The cabin of the Tata Tiago Sport is equipped with all-black interiors, leather wrapped steering with contrasting red stitching, aluminium pedals and Harman infotainment system.
Tata Motors have been showcasing sports versions of their models for almost two decades now. They even had a Tata Indica Sport version. While Tata have had Jay Anand work on many sport versions of their cars with souped up performance and sporty bodykits, none have made it to production so far. Given this it remains to be seen if Tata are ready to 'bite the bullet' now and bring the Tiago Sport into the marketplace.
Starts Rs 3.21 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.42 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.88 Lakhs
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- NewsKia installs framework of its new manufacturing plant in Andhra Pradesh
- NewsMotoGP: Tech3 and Yamaha to part ways after 2018 season
- Review2018 Yamaha MT-09 first ride review
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices of all models
- NewsDucati launches extended warranty program in India
- News2018 F1: All the Formula 1 cars for the upcoming season launched so far
- NewsF2 2018: Arjun Maini signs with Trident for FIA Formula 2 Championship
- Review2018 TVS Apache RR 310 road test review
- Features2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 long term review: After 12,572km and two years
- NewsPorsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids