Auto Expo 2018: Toyota Yaris sedan to be showcased
We have landed in New Delhi to cover the greatest motoring trade show of the Indian subcontinent- the Delhi Auto Expo. Preps and promos of the show are springing up all across the city but the one that caught our attention is the hoarding you see below from Toyota. The Japanese carmaker has teased what looks like the Asia-spec Toyota Yaris sedan which will be unveiled in all its glory at the 2018 Auto Expo.
We were aware of Toyota's plans of entering the C-segment sedan category with a premium offering and our speculations pointed towards the Toyota Vios sedan. However, it seems like Toyota's Honda City rival will come in the form of the Yaris sedan that is based on the Vios itself (Interestingly, the same car went on sale as the new Vios sedan in Singapore in December last year). It will be called the Toyota Yaris in India and compared to the Vios we showed you earlier, the Yaris sedan wears a sharper design theme that is in line with the new Corolla and Camry. This comes courtesy of sleek headlights and taillights, a wide grille and a pinched roofline.
The cabin looks quite youthful with a large instrumentation featuring analogue clocks and a 4.2-inch MID, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment unit in the dash, a bolstered steering wheel and sleek air-conditioning vents. It will be interesting to see if Toyota goes with a sporty all-black layout for the cabin, or chooses a more popular black and beige combination for the India-spec Yaris sedan.
Powertrain options for the Yaris are expected to be a 1.5l petrol engine and a 1.4l diesel. The 1.5l is expected to be based on the 2NR-FE motor that powers the Etios sedan, albeit with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust ports. The engine is expected to produce 107PS and 140Nm of torque. The diesel option will be exclusive to India and will borrow the 1.4l D-4D drivetrain from the Corolla, in a similar 90PS/205Nm state of tune.
Starts Rs 8.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.58 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.83 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead
- News2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV launched in India at Rs 2.32 crore
- NewsUpcoming Tata H5X SUV spotted testing again in new video
- NewsFormula E: Heidfeld scores points for Mahindra Racing at Berlin ePrix
- NewsUpcoming new-gen Hyundai Santro spotted testing in camouflage again
- NewsAll-electric 1968 Jaguar E-Type Zero was our hero at the Royal Wedding
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class Nightfall edition launched internationally
- NewsVideo: Watch the Bosch jet-thruster system prevent a motorcycle crash