Auto Expo 2018: Toyota Yaris sedan to be showcased
We have landed in New Delhi to cover the greatest motoring trade show of the Indian subcontinent- the Delhi Auto Expo. Preps and promos of the show are springing up all across the city but the one that caught our attention is the hoarding you see below from Toyota. The Japanese carmaker has teased what looks like the Asia-spec Toyota Yaris sedan which will be unveiled in all its glory at the 2018 Auto Expo.
We were aware of Toyota's plans of entering the C-segment sedan category with a premium offering and our speculations pointed towards the Toyota Vios sedan. However, it seems like Toyota's Honda City rival will come in the form of the Yaris sedan that is based on the Vios itself (Interestingly, the same car went on sale as the new Vios sedan in Singapore in December last year). It will be called the Toyota Yaris in India and compared to the Vios we showed you earlier, the Yaris sedan wears a sharper design theme that is in line with the new Corolla and Camry. This comes courtesy of sleek headlights and taillights, a wide grille and a pinched roofline.
The cabin looks quite youthful with a large instrumentation featuring analogue clocks and a 4.2-inch MID, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment unit in the dash, a bolstered steering wheel and sleek air-conditioning vents. It will be interesting to see if Toyota goes with a sporty all-black layout for the cabin, or chooses a more popular black and beige combination for the India-spec Yaris sedan.
Powertrain options for the Yaris are expected to be a 1.5l petrol engine and a 1.4l diesel. The 1.5l is expected to be based on the 2NR-FE motor that powers the Etios sedan, albeit with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust ports. The engine is expected to produce 107PS and 140Nm of torque. The diesel option will be exclusive to India and will borrow the 1.4l D-4D drivetrain from the Corolla, in a similar 90PS/205Nm state of tune.
Starts Rs 8.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.77 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.19 Lakhs
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show