Bajaj Auto can finally launch the Qute in India, quadricycle approved as new category
The long-standing wait for quadricycle manufacturers in India is all set to get over soon. The Supreme Court has finally approved the classification of quadricycles as a new vehicle category in India. One of the first automobile manufacturers to benefit from this update in India will be Bajaj Auto as they can finally launch their much talked Qute in India.
The Bajaj Qute, India's first quadricycle is expected to go on sale in India this year
The passenger quadricycle will have a maximum weight of 475kg and will have to pass the mandatory crash tests before getting launched in the country. These crash tests would determine the passenger safety standards for this category. The Indian government has also given an approval to launch electric and hybrid quadricycles, in addition to the ones running on conventional fuel. The final specifications of the quadricycle that includes weight, emission and safety features has already been drafted by the road transport and the highway ministry.
As reported by ET, "The final standards for the category have been issued. Any company that manufactures quadricycle can sell it in India. We have ensured that the safety standards for quadricycle are more stringent than the European standards," commented a road transport and highways ministry official. In case of Bajaj Auto, the Indian automobile manufacturer now has to get a certification from Automotive Research Association of India to launch the Qute in India.
Back in 2016, Euro NCAP had released the results of crash tests that were conducted for heavy quadricycles, that included the India-made Bajaj Qute. And the Bajaj quadricycle was awarded two stars tested on a different set of parameters, compared to conventional cars.
- News2018 Mahindra TUV300 Plus variants explained
- Features2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V longterm review: Introduction
- News2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted testing again in South Korea
- ReviewMercedes-AMG C 43 4Matic Cabriolet first drive review
- ReviewMercedes-Benz 2018 C 200 first drive review
- NewsVolvo S60 sedan unveiled internationally, to rival Mercedes C-Class
- NewsGaurav Gill's 2017 Team MRF Skoda Fabia R5 immortalized in scale model form
- NewsKTM RC200 now available with a black colour option
- NewsNext-generation Mercedes-Benz CLS 300d to launch in India during the festive season
- FeaturesImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG C43 sedan and coupe