Bajaj Qute Quadricycle to be available in Kerala and North East from next month
After six years of long battle, Bajaj Auto will be finally selling the Qute quadricycle in India. This came after the Supreme Court's go ahead on the classification of quadricycles as a new vehicle category in India. Bajaj Auto has already started deliveries of the Qute to select dealerships in Kerala and North East in India. The Bajaj Qute will be listed into a new category and will be sold as commercial vehicle. Presently, Kerala and North East are the only two states that have approved the sale of Bajaj Qute.
The Bajaj Qute, India's first quadricycle is expected to go on sale in the near future thanks to a revision in vehicular norms to include quadricycles
Bajaj Auto faced a stiff opposition from various public interest litigations (PILs) as well as from different automobile manufacturers like TVS Motor Company and Tata Motors considering that quadricycles do not meet crash safety norms.
"Permission of the Qute have come through and we will start in the next few days. Technically Kerala is allowed to retail it so the initial plan is to send out 35-40 vehicles to all the dealerships so that registration process can be completed. But I would say that retails in the North-East and Kerala should commence next month,"said Kevin D'sa, President (Finance), Bajaj Auto to Moneycontrol.
Rajiv Bajaj, MD, Bajaj Auto with the Qute quadricycle
The Pune based manufacturer, Bajaj Auto presently has an annual production capacity of 60,000 units for the Qute, which can be further ramped up by using the production facility of three-wheelers. Bajaj Auto has been selling the Qute quadricycle in Latin America, Europe and Africa since 2015. Powering the Bajaj Qute is a 13.2 PS, 216cc engine.
Back in 2016, Euro NCAP had released the results of crash tests that were conducted for heavy quadricycles, that included the India-made Bajaj Qute. And the Bajaj quadricycle was awarded two stars tested on a different set of parameters, compared to conventional cars.
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000