BMW 8 Series spotted testing in convertible form
New images have surfaced online which show the BMW 8 Series in its convertible body style. The design seems to largely follow what has been seen so far on the coupes. There are also new images of the interiors. These show a digital instrument cluster in a new theme/layout, a slight departure from BMW's present cabin design with squarer vents and a large touchscreen infotainment built into the dash.
We had earlier reported that BMW is planning to launch its 8-Series coupe at a sales event during the 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race to be held in France on June 15. The convertible will probably debut sometime after this. The company had already launched the racing prototype based on the 8-Series at the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Le Mans debut of that car is expected to be the backdrop of the production car's launch. A range-topping M8 Gran Coupe concept was also shown at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
When launched, the BMW 8 Series will be the flagship sports car of the BMW line-up. The car is expected to be powered by BMWs line up of 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines while the range-topping M8 will be powered by the M5's 4.4-litre twin turbo V8, but probably with better outputs than the smaller car's 608PS and 750Nm. All 8-Series cars should be mated to the 8-speed ZF automatic while a rear-biased four-wheel drive system should be available on the M8. In terms of body styles, the car will come as a 2-door coupe and convertible and a 4-door coupe.
When launched, the 8-Series will compete with the likes of the Bentley Continental GT, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe and the Porsche Panamera. BMW sold the original 8-Series between 1989 and 1999. The car was the flagship grand tourer of the German carmaker's range and was well liked for its speed, looks and driving dynamics. BMW will be hoping the new car can be a suitable follow up to the original.
Starts Rs 1.7 Crore
Starts Rs 1.33 Crore
Starts Rs 2.03 Crore
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Scrutiny and driver's briefing image gallery
- FeaturesIndependence Quattro Drive 2018: From Chandigarh to Leh
- NewsDrag strip-only Ford Mustang Cobra Jet unveiled
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV to be launched in India on September 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Pre-scrutiny image gallery
- NewsHarley-Davidson India rolls out new Street to Softail trade-in offer
- NewsKerala floods: Nissan India offers service support to affected customers
- NewsHero MotoCorp re-enters used two-wheeler business with Hero Sure in India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to get more safety features
- NewsTata Nexon compact SUV crosses the 50,000 production mark