BMW i8 headed to Auto Expo 2014 in India
The BMW i8 heralds a new breed of environmentally conscious hybrid sports cars that are both efficient and fun to drive. The i8 was launched at the 2013 Frankfurt Show for a price of Rs 86.72 lakh(before taxes and duties). That puts it in line with conventional sports cars like the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche 911. BMW plans to showcase the i8 at the Auto Expo next month and will also launch the car in India later this year after the smaller i3 electric urban car.
2014 BMW i8
The mid-engined, 4.7-metre-long i8 uses the same construction concept as the i3, a carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) shell on a welded all-aluminium chassis. The i8 is a part-time all-wheel-drive. The car uses a new 3-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that sends 232PS of powers to the rear wheels, with an added 133PS power from a lithium-ion electric motor going to the front. A 6-speed automatic gearbox handles transmission duties. The top speed is restricted to 249kmph while BMW claims a 0-100kmph sprint in 4.4 seconds. Efficiency numbers stand at 50kmpl and 25g/km of CO2 emissions.
The BMW i8 interiors
The radical exterior design features distinct panels at the front, sills and over the rear wheels. The C-pillar has aerofoils while the doors are gull-wing style and all glass used is chemically hardened. The lamp assemblies get LEDs but customers also have an option of unique 'laser' headlights, which are 70 percent more powerful than standard LEDs and project "pure white, extremely bright light that is pleasing to the eye". Inside, a glass cockpit, touchscreen instrument panels and light, ergonomic seats reiterate the featherweight engineering concept.
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
Starts Rs 1.29 Crore
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
- Review2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 first ride review
- FeaturesWhat's under the new Suzuki GSX-S750's skin?
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out
- NewsSIAM and Ministry of Road Transport and Highways kick-off road safety week
- NewsImage Gallery: Volkswagen I. D. R Pikes Peak hill climb prototype racer revealed
- NewsUniform road tax across states soon, plans the central government
- NewsBMW 8 Series spotted testing in convertible form
- News2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 being offered at Rs 20,000 discount by dealership