BMW i8 headed to Auto Expo 2014 in India
The BMW i8 heralds a new breed of environmentally conscious hybrid sports cars that are both efficient and fun to drive. The i8 was launched at the 2013 Frankfurt Show for a price of Rs 86.72 lakh(before taxes and duties). That puts it in line with conventional sports cars like the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche 911. BMW plans to showcase the i8 at the Auto Expo next month and will also launch the car in India later this year after the smaller i3 electric urban car.
2014 BMW i8
The mid-engined, 4.7-metre-long i8 uses the same construction concept as the i3, a carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) shell on a welded all-aluminium chassis. The i8 is a part-time all-wheel-drive. The car uses a new 3-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that sends 232PS of powers to the rear wheels, with an added 133PS power from a lithium-ion electric motor going to the front. A 6-speed automatic gearbox handles transmission duties. The top speed is restricted to 249kmph while BMW claims a 0-100kmph sprint in 4.4 seconds. Efficiency numbers stand at 50kmpl and 25g/km of CO2 emissions.
The BMW i8 interiors
The radical exterior design features distinct panels at the front, sills and over the rear wheels. The C-pillar has aerofoils while the doors are gull-wing style and all glass used is chemically hardened. The lamp assemblies get LEDs but customers also have an option of unique 'laser' headlights, which are 70 percent more powerful than standard LEDs and project "pure white, extremely bright light that is pleasing to the eye". Inside, a glass cockpit, touchscreen instrument panels and light, ergonomic seats reiterate the featherweight engineering concept.
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
Starts Rs 90.93 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1.38 Crore
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh