BMW i8 hybrid electric supercar launched in India at Rs 2.29 crore
BMW India has launched the i8 hybrid electric supercar at an expectedly steep Rs 2.29 crore ex-showroom, pan-India. The car is built on an eco-friendly platform and gets organic fibres and leather dyes. There is also lots of carbon-fibre in lots of places including the chassis.
A twin-scroll turbo 231PS three cylinder 1.5-litre petrol motor powers the BMW i8. There is also the 131PS (96kW) electric motor which drives the front wheels. The electric motor derives power from a lithium-ion battery pack which can be charged from a power socket installed at home. BMW says that this battery pack will last the life of the car. Both the gasoline and electric propulsion systems are connected to each other via BMW's power control electronics.
What the power control electronics do is command the electric motor to give you 37km of front-wheel drive range (tested by the EU cycle) and a top speed of 120kmph. Step on the accelerator and the all-wheel drive car goes from 0-100kmph in 4.4 seconds and still returns a fuel efficiency of 48kmpl on the EU driving cycle, with the top speed restricted to 250kmph. The company maintains that in urban driving conditions, a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl is possible.
More from OVERDRIVE on the BMW i8:
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh