BMW i8 hybrid electric supercar launched in India at Rs 2.29 crore
BMW India has launched the i8 hybrid electric supercar at an expectedly steep Rs 2.29 crore ex-showroom, pan-India. The car is built on an eco-friendly platform and gets organic fibres and leather dyes. There is also lots of carbon-fibre in lots of places including the chassis.
A twin-scroll turbo 231PS three cylinder 1.5-litre petrol motor powers the BMW i8. There is also the 131PS (96kW) electric motor which drives the front wheels. The electric motor derives power from a lithium-ion battery pack which can be charged from a power socket installed at home. BMW says that this battery pack will last the life of the car. Both the gasoline and electric propulsion systems are connected to each other via BMW's power control electronics.
What the power control electronics do is command the electric motor to give you 37km of front-wheel drive range (tested by the EU cycle) and a top speed of 120kmph. Step on the accelerator and the all-wheel drive car goes from 0-100kmph in 4.4 seconds and still returns a fuel efficiency of 48kmpl on the EU driving cycle, with the top speed restricted to 250kmph. The company maintains that in urban driving conditions, a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl is possible.
More from OVERDRIVE on the BMW i8:
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
- News2019 Ducati Scrambler range to be launched in India today
- FeaturesFIVA General Council Meeting in India
- FeaturesFIVA President in Conversation with Bob Rupani
- NewsMaruti Suzuki to discontinue diesel models from 2020 - will offer an EV for Rs 9 lakh
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Baleno hatchback diesel and RS variants see price hike
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip