BMW i8 to be launched in India on February 18, 2015
And it's official - BMW will launch the highly anticipated i8 supercar in India on February 18. The launch will take place in Mumbai. The i8 will be the first hybrid supercar in the country and is expected to start an all-new segment and pave the way for its younger sibling, the i3 which will be launched sometime later this year.
A 231PS twin scroll turbo 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine that drives the rear wheels powers the BMW i8. Driving the front wheels is a 131PS electric motor. In pure electric mode, the car can cover 37km and reach a top whack of 120kmph. BMW says that the batteries will last the life of the car.
On pressing the throttle, the petrol engine chips in, taking the car from nought to 100kmph in 4.4 seconds with a claimed fuel efficiency of 48kmpl as per European Cycle. BMW says that it is possible to achieve 20kmpl or thereabout in real world conditions, making it the most efficient supercar on the planet as of now.
The interiors of the car look futuristic as well with the dials changing colour depending on the mode selected. There is also the head up display which shows all the required information on the front windscreen.
Expect the new i8 to be priced around Rs 1.5 crore, ex-showroom.
We've driven the BMW i8. Click on the links below to see our drive impressions of the first hybrid supercar to make it to India:
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: Audi Q4 e-tron concept sketches unveiled
- News2019 Benelli TRK 502 and TRK 502X launched in India at Rs 5 lakh and Rs 5.40 lakh respectively
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani