BMW India launches Skill Next initiative as part of its Chennai plant's 11th anniversary
BMW India has announced a new technical skills initiative, Skill Next, that aims to give automobile engineering students a chance to work on the engine and transmission of BMW India's cars. The new programme also commemorates the 11th anniversary of BMW's Chennai facility. Under the Skill Next initiative, 365 demonstration BMW engine and transmission units will be provided to leading engineering and technical institutions across the country. BMW India says that it plans to complete deliveries by the end of this year at no cost. BMW will supply its Twin-Power Turbo, In-line 4-cylinder diesel engine, and the eight-speed, Steptronic, automatic transmission. BMW India has had a good run in the 2017 calendar year, registering 25 per cent growth over the previous year.
BMW India adds that the powertrains will serve as an effective learning tool for budding engineers as it provides them with a hands-on experience of working on a modern engine and transmission. The educational institutions will receive the BMW engine and transmission on signing an undertaking that it'll be used inside the campus for learning purposes only.
Speaking at the occasion, Vikram Pawah, head, BMW India said that the Skill Next initiative will contribute to the availability of skilled technical staff at automotive dealerships across the country.
Renowned cricketer and BMW India's brand ambassador, Sachin Tendulkar was also present. He along with a few students from the College of Engineering, Anna University assembled the inline - four diesel motor and eight-speed transmission for the locally built and recently launched BMW X3. Speaking on the occasion, Tendulkar said that Skill Next will help automobile engineering students understand automotive technology through first-hand experience.
The engines and transmissions that BMW intends to donate were affected during the Chennai floods. Since these parts did not meet BMW's quality mandates, BMW decided to give these powertrains away.
Starts Rs 49.1 Lakhs
- NewsJeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk can make 1,000PS+, ask Hennessey Performance
- NewsRange Rover Velar launched in Malaysia at RM529,800
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia ranked eighth overall after Stage 3
- NewsInterview: Gaurav Gill on competing in the WRC 2 championship with Team MRF in 2018
- NewsYamaha FZ 25 wins India Design Mark (I Mark) Awards 2018
- NewsBMW M2 Competition revealed with 405PS
- News2018 Ashok Leyland Annual Global Conference held in Chennai
- News2018 BMW X3 launched in India starting at Rs 49.99 lakh
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift: Top five things that you should know
- NewsOfficial: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS bookings have NOT begun in India