BMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018
BMW has shown the BMW iX3 all-electric crossover concept at the Auto China 2018. The iX3 incorporates BMW's fifth-generation EV hardware in a modular chassis and is powered by a 70 kWh battery that puts out 270 horsepower and has a range of roughly 400 km. The new hardware groups together the electric motor, transmission and power electronics within a new, separate electric drive components leading to gains in packaging, weight-saving and efficiency. The crossover uses BMW's newest battery tech to make it compatible with 150 kWh fast chargers. This means it can get up to 80 percent charge in 30 minutes. The interiors weren't revealed at this event.
The iX3 design doesn't diverge too much from that of the latest X3 that it has been derived from. New additions are a different interpretation of BMW's kidney grille design, a new front bumper, blue accents on the side-skirts and grille and the full-cover alloy wheel design.
The iX3 will be launched in production form in 2020. BMW is planning a big push into electric vehicles, like Mercedes-Benz, and plans on having 25 electrified cars on sale by 2025. These will likely include SUVs from iX1 to the iX9, given that it has trademarked these names last year, and the i4 sedan shown some time ago. Its earlier effort with a full-electric car is the i3 hatchback. When launched, iX3 will compete with the Jaguar I-Pace, Audi e-Tron and the upcoming Mercedes-Benz EQ C. Like those other cars, it will undercut the Tesla Model X in pricing.
The iX3 will be BMW's' first major shot at the full EV market and the German car-maker will use this car to reassert itself in the face of what is probably the biggest disruption ever seen in the car industry worldwide. BMW will use the iX3 to set itself up to jump right in at the thick end of the electric car market and have all its bases covered.
Starts Rs 49.99 Lakhs
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS launched in India at Rs 2.98 lakh
- NewsBMW G 310 R: Three things you'll like and two you won't
- NewsBMW G 310 GS: Three things you'll like and two you won't
- ReviewBMW G 310 GS first ride review
- ReviewBMW G 310 R first ride review
- NewsBMW G 310 R and G 310 GS official accessories from BMW Motorrad India
- News2018 Honda Navi gets two new colours, priced at Rs. 44,775
- NewsBMW G 310 R and G 310 GS service costs and warranty
- NewsImage gallery: BMW G 310 R launched in India at Rs 2.99 lakh
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport partners with Wheels India to develop new forged alloy wheels for the Vento TC4-A touring car