BMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018
BMW has shown the BMW iX3 all-electric crossover concept at the Auto China 2018. The iX3 incorporates BMW's fifth-generation EV hardware in a modular chassis and is powered by a 70 kWh battery that puts out 270 horsepower and has a range of roughly 400 km. The new hardware groups together the electric motor, transmission and power electronics within a new, separate electric drive components leading to gains in packaging, weight-saving and efficiency. The crossover uses BMW's newest battery tech to make it compatible with 150 kWh fast chargers. This means it can get up to 80 percent charge in 30 minutes. The interiors weren't revealed at this event.
The iX3 design doesn't diverge too much from that of the latest X3 that it has been derived from. New additions are a different interpretation of BMW's kidney grille design, a new front bumper, blue accents on the side-skirts and grille and the full-cover alloy wheel design.
The iX3 will be launched in production form in 2020. BMW is planning a big push into electric vehicles, like Mercedes-Benz, and plans on having 25 electrified cars on sale by 2025. These will likely include SUVs from iX1 to the iX9, given that it has trademarked these names last year, and the i4 sedan shown some time ago. Its earlier effort with a full-electric car is the i3 hatchback. When launched, iX3 will compete with the Jaguar I-Pace, Audi e-Tron and the upcoming Mercedes-Benz EQ C. Like those other cars, it will undercut the Tesla Model X in pricing.
The iX3 will be BMW's' first major shot at the full EV market and the German car-maker will use this car to reassert itself in the face of what is probably the biggest disruption ever seen in the car industry worldwide. BMW will use the iX3 to set itself up to jump right in at the thick end of the electric car market and have all its bases covered.
Starts Rs 49.99 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsFormula E: Daniel Abt leads Audi one-two at home race in Berlin
- FeaturesVideo worth watching: The Frankenstein E28 BMW 5 Series
- NewsTennis-ace Rafael Nadal to be race starter for this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
- NewsSavsol automotive engine oils and lubricants relaunched in India with revised positioning
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Nico Rosberg and his Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing
- NewsConfirmed: Hyundai Creta SUV facelift to be launched in India on May 21
- NewsCox and Kings launches Self-Drive 365 holiday planning service
- ReviewKia K900 first drive review
- NewsBMW iNext autonomous electric crossover teased, will be their new technology flagship
- News2019 Aston Martin Vantage production begins at Gaydon, Warwickshire