BMW R 1200 GS recalled over fork tube issue
German motorcycle manufacturer BMW has issued a recall of their adventure offering, the R 1200 GS that were manufactured between November 2013 to June 2017. This recall is being done on a worldwide basis. It was Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, the German motor transport authority that posted an official recall notice on its website.
BMW states that on occasions of "momentary high stress", the front fork tube has a tendency to become loose. And in some cases can also result in separation from the yoke. This might lead to the failure of front suspension and in turn can result in an accident. The company also adds that there have been no reports or instances of crashes or accidents that have been reported so far. While the said issue might not be a problem for the motorcycle that are being ridden on-road, the ones being used for core off-road riding would be susceptible to failure.
The company states that the motorcycles that are being recalled will be retro-fitted with an additional bush that slides over the existing fork tube. However, during inspection, if the fork is found to be damaged due to the said issue, the fork tubes will be replaced by new parts at the dealerships without any extra cost.
Our sources state that the existing owners in India have already started reaching out to the BMW Motorrad dealers to know the possibility of a recall in the country. We have connected with BMW Motorrad India to find out the number of units that have been affected from this recall. We are still awaiting an official response from the motorcycle manufacturer.
Starts Rs 16,20,000
Starts Rs 19,80,000
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- Features2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 long term review: After 12,572km and two years
- NewsPorsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
- News721PS/770Nm Ferrari 488 Pista comes with the most powerful V8 built by the company
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden