CES 2016: Audi showcases piloted driving, virtual cockpit and Fit Driver tech
Audi's theme for the 2016 CES is 'piloted, electrified and fully connected'. The company showcased technologies that focus on these three trends which will be the future of Audi's vehicles and the automobile industry itself.
Audi's virtual cockpit
The company showcased a mock cockpit of the Audi e-tron Quattro concept which replaces all screens and controls with OLED display units that are integrated with what will be Audi's future MMI. This interface features what Audi calls 'MMI touch response' which provides a haptic feedback touchscreen, with gesture recognition. The system also displays real time information on traffic and locations of nearby charging stations on the digital instrument cluster using information from Here maps.
Audi also showcased its piloted driving technologies at the 2016 CES. For piloted driving in traffic jams, Audi is further developing its radar-supported adaptive cruise control technology with a laser scanner the "delivers highly precise data at a distance of up to 80 metres." It has also partnered with tech companies such as TTTech, Mobileye, NVIDIA and Delphi to develop its central driver assistance controller, called zFAS. For the braking and steering systems to support piloted driving, Audi is working with Bosch, Continental, Valeo and Delphi.
Audi Fit Driver
The Audi Fit Driver, according to the company, "focusses on the well-being and health of the driver." The driver wears a device, like a fitness band or smartwatch, that keeps track of parameters such as heart rate and skin temperature, while the vehicle's sensors keep track of information on driving style, breathing rate and relevant environmental data such as weather or traffic conditions. The system combines this data to determine how stressed the driver is, and the "various vehicle systems act to relax, vitalise, or even protect the driver."
- NewsThe 510PS Aston Martin Vantage has been launched in India at Rs 2.95 crore
- FeaturesOD Mercedes-Benz 24-hours Performance Run: Scale of C
- News2018 Ducati 959 Panigale Corse launched in India at Rs 15.2 lakh
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover
- OpinionOn the joys and hardships of motorsport writing...
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 first ride review
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907