Chery International might tie up with Tata Motors and enter India
Chinese automobile manufacturer Chery International is planning to enter the Indian market. The car maker has a 50:50 joint venture with Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), owned by Tata Motors globally, that manufactures the premium range of vehicles at the assembly plant in Changshu sinch 2014. Chery International might use the same partnership to enter the Indian market, said Yin Tongyao, chief executive of Chery at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show. The Chery International portfolio consists of the QQ hatchback, Arrizo sedans and Fulwin2 F. The company is also planning to launch an all-new SUV in the international markets, called the Exceed TX. The Chery International Tata Motors tie up might be something interesting to see as both car manufacturers excel in production cost effective offerings.
Chery Exceed TX concept sketch
The chairman told ET, "India is a great country with a good heritage. We have a partnership with Tata Group. We may explore a tie-up to enter India" He further added, "It may be with Tata Motors or without them, nothing is decided."
This is not the first time that a Chinese automobile manufacturer is planning on entering the Indian market. Companies like Changan, Shanghai Automotive, Beiqi Foton and Great Wall too have been working on entering the Indian market for quite some time to compensate for the drop in sales in the their home market
Chery International is the largest automobile exporter in China. As reported by a daily in China, the company was planning to sell QQ, A1 and M1 micro sedans and A3 compact car platforms to Tata Motors to reduce its debts.
The car manufacturer had earlier releaser a teaser image of its first all-new compact SUV and then unveiled it in flesh as the Exeed TX at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The Chery Exceed TX will be available with an option between hybrid electric, plug-in hybrid electric and all-electric powertrains. The company states that the battery can be fully charged in four hours using a 220V supply and will also have a quick charge function that will charge the battery to 80 per cent in 30 mins. The plug-in hybrid, according to Chery, will have a 0 to 100 kmph acceleration of 6 seconds and a maximum speed of close to 200 kmph. In addition, the compact SUV will have an overall efficiency of 66 kmpl.
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show