CNBC-TV18 Overdrive Awards 2016: Nominees for Luxury Car of the Year
Like the Luxury SUV of the Year, the CNBC-TV18 OVERDRIVE Luxury Car of the Year segment has but one caveat - the car must be locally assembled or built. This year, we have two qualifiers and both come from Mercedes-Benz. One, however, is significantly more expensive and extravagant than the other.
The CLA-Class is the most affordable Mercedes-Benz sedan available today but also one of the most stylish cars this side of an AMG GT. The CLA has received international acclaim for its gorgeous coupe-like styling with a dramatic roof line that never fails to get attention. Not a bad way to enter Mercedes ownership indeed.
The next car is a big, big step up, even from the likes of the CLA. We were expecting Mercedes to relaunch the Maybach name in India this year but we never expected the company to assemble the car here. Doing so has allowed the company to price the V8 powered limo at a price of Rs 1.67 crore. Relatively speaking, that's pretty affordable. Strictly relatively.
The Luxury Car of the Year category will be judged by a panel of experts on a range of criteria (read more about our judging methodology here) including how well they suit the role, value for the money they demand and also how involving they are to drive. No matter the category, we at OVERDRIVE value driving involvement. A car has to put a smile on its driver's face, no matter the power or price and that's definitely one of the criteria in our judging process.
The CNBC-TV18 OVERDRIVE Awards 2016 ceremony will be held on December 9, 2015. Stay tuned to know what we think are the best cars and bikes of the year.
See nominations in the other categories for the CNBC-TV18 OVERDRIVE Awards 2016
- NewsNissan India launches Happy with Nissan service camp, valid till December 24
- NewsTata Tiago XZ+ top-spec variant launched at Rs 5.57 lakh
- NewsSpec comparison: Nissan Kicks vs Hyundai Creta vs Mahindra Scorpio
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Hero 450 RR Dakar spec rally motorcycle
- NewsDakar 2019: Hero MotoSports' CS Santosh, Joaquim Rodrigues and Oriol Mena gear up for 41st edition of the rally
- Review2019 Audi E-Tron first drive review
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Nissan Kicks India-spec
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 accessory list revealed with prices
- Review2019 BMW 3 Series first drive review
- Review2018 BMW G 310 R road test review