Confirmed: KTM says 790 Duke launch in India not slated for November
Responding to news of the KTM 790 Duke launch in India being planned just after Diwali, KTM India has stated that it does not plan to do so. As per earlier reports from information given by dealer sources, they had begun accepting pre-bookings for the KTM 790 Duke for an amount of Rs 30,000. The sources also informed that the 790 Duke will bear a sub-9-lakh price tag, on road. However, KTM India has denied that the 790 Duke launch is scheduled for November.
"The 790 duke is under evaluation for launch. Nothing is finalised yet. These stories (about the impending launch and open bookings for the 790 Duke) are speculative and wrong! We are keen to introduce but nothing is finalised yet," says Amit Nandi, who heads KTM India.
The KTM 790 Duke was first showcased as a concept at EICMA 2016, and the production version was revealed at the same event a year later. The 790 may be brought in via the CKD route and locally assembled at the KTM-Bajaj plant in Chakan, Pune, as previously reported by OVERDRIVE.
During EICMA 2017, when the 790 was revealed, KTM chief sales officer (CSO) Hubert Trukenpolz confirmed that the intent with the 2018 KTM 790 Duke was always to be manufactured in multiple locations, including India. The resultant price could make it a big threat to the current crop of naked motorcycles in the country including the Triumph Street Triple, Suzuki GSX-S750, the Ducati Monster 797, and the recently launched 2019 Kawasaki Z900.
The motorcycle features a brand new, 799cc, liquid-cooled parallel-twin motor that develops 105PS at 9,000 rpm and 86Nm at 8,000rpm. The LC8c is KTM's first parallel-twin motor and comes mated to a six-speed transmission.
True to the Duke family ethos, the 790 Duke features radical styling, with minimal body panels. It, however, does not look as edgy as the prototype, but is very close. The 790 Duke employs a steel frame, with the engine as the stressed member, in order to save weight, which stands at 169Kg.
Starts Rs 8,08,000
Starts Rs 7,68,000
Starts Rs 7,45,000
Starts Rs 11,13,000
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh