Confirmed: Volkswagen to launch Tiguan in India in first quarter of 2017
The two main launches from the Volkswagen stable that are scheduled to happen this year are the Tiguan and the Passat. This has now been confirmed by the German car manufacturer. We have learnt that Volkswagen will be bringing the Tiguan first followed by the new-gen Passat in this festive season.
The Tiguan is an important car as it debuts Volkswagen in a new segment of SUVs in India. Based on the MQB modular platform, the first SUV from VW, the Tiguan, weighs 50kg lighter than the previous-gen model. Although, the 2017 Tiguan has grown in dimensions.
Volkswagen offers the Tiguan with both petrol and diesel engines. The particular model that was displayed at the 2016 Auto Expo was equipped with a 180PS 2.0-litre petrol motor paired with 7-speed DSG. The other motor that will be offered is the 2.0-litre TDI that churns out 150PS/340Nm mated to a 7-speed DSG. We have already driven this version wherein Halley had stated that the power delivery of this motor is smooth and linear while gearshifts from the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission are seamless. It's perfect to drive around in town as well on the highway. Read our detailed Volkswagen Tiguan review here.
Last year, the new Tiguan SUV scored a five-star rating in the Euro-NCAP tests which was aggregated from the results from four subsections, namely occupant protection for adults and children, pedestrian protection and driver assistance systems.
The other VW model is the new-generation Passat that is expected to be launched in India this festive season. The 2017 Volkswagen Passat is also based on the MQB platform. Volkswagen India has confirmed that the Passat 2.0L TDI engine mated to a 6-speed DSG gearbox is the one that reaches our shores. In its latest avatar, the new-generation Volkswagen Passat gets a revolutionary design change from its previous iteration.
It now measures 2mm shorter and has an extended wheelbase of 79mm, which VW claims offers a more spacious cabin and boot. VW has also managed to shave off 80kg from the Passat. Volkswagen also offers a GTE plug-in hybrid version of the Passat that we drove in Berlin. We believe this one too will make it to India considering the fact that India will soon be adapting the CAFE standards wherein the tax rebates are given to manufacturers whose portfolio consists of fuel-efficient offerings, hybrids and electric cars.
Starts Rs 27.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 29.99 Lakhs
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport partners with Wheels India to develop new forged alloy wheels for the Vento TC4-A touring car
- NewsBig Boy Toyz inaugurates showroom in Mumbai
- NewsNew-generation Lexus ES 300h bookings open in India, priced at Rs 59.13 lakh
- News2018 Honda Jazz launched in India at Rs 7.35 lakh
- NewsEESL puts second tender to acquire 10,000 EVs on hold
- NewsSuzuki Burgman Street launched in India at Rs 68,000
- NewsLive Updates: Suzuki Burgman Street 125 India launch
- News2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed: Polestar 1 production-spec prototype debuts
- NewsImage gallery: BMW G 310 GS launched in India at Rs 3.49 lakh
- NewsUpcoming Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to miss out on new 1.5-litre diesel at launch