Confirmed: Volvo XC90 will be the first plug-in hybrid SUV to be assembled in India by the second half of 2019
With its pricing, Volvo Cars has ensured that the XC40 SUV one-ups the competition in its segment. A day earlier, the compact luxury SUV was launched in India at an introductory price of Rs 39.9 lakh (ex-showroom). Speaking at the same event, the Swedish carmaker's India MD Charles Frump has stated that its range-topping XC90 will be assembled in a plug-in hybrid form in India from next year. The Volvo XC90 T8 Excellence variant with the plug-in hybrid tech will kick off the India part of the company's plan to sell a million electrified cars globally by 2025. Most importantly, this will be the first plug-in hybrid to be assembled in the country.
Volvo currently brings the top-spec XC90 T8 Excellence hybrid into the country as a CBU and sells it at Rs 1.3 crore (ex-showroom). OVERDRIVE has learned that the assembly of this plug-in hybrid SUV will begin in the second half of next year. Even before this, Volvo also plans to start assembling the XC60 at its India plant, by the end of this year. While it has not been confirmed, the local assembly will definitely lead to a lower price than the one at present. However, with the taxation structure for hybrid electric vehicles (EVs) in the country, it remains to be seen how much of a difference in price this will lead to.
The Volvo XC90 is based on the carmaker's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform, developed to house a hybrid powertrain. Its T8 engine is a combination of a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine and an electric motor powered by a Lithium-ion battery. The direct-injection turbocharged and supercharged petrol engine makes 320PS. The electric motor generates 87PS and 240Nm, for a combined output of 407PS and 640Nm. The engine comes mated to an 8-speed Aisin gearbox.
Starts Rs 77.41 Lakhs
- Review2019 Volvo S60 first drive review
- NewsNew-generation Maruti Suzuki Ertiga teased in pre-launch video
- News2018 Datsun Go and Go Plus in South Africa: Top five facts
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test